Black molly large white spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbrissette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a black Molly about three weeks ago, and am a new fish owner. However one of my black mollies has recently developed a large white spot on one of its sides.
It doesn’t look like any common fish diseases I have researched and I can’t seem to find anything like it. Could it possibly be a burn from the heater? Any other thoughts are welcomed!

I’ve had my fish for 3 weeks. They are all mollies, with a total of 4 in a 10 gal tank. The water is tested regularly to ensure they have a safe environment as I want them to thrive and be healthy. There is also a heater which keeps the water between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit, (it’s a preset heater). I feed them fish flakes as directed by the pet store (should I feed them something else)? There is no aggression that I have noticed in the tank, and if any just a very mild amount (which I thought was playing) Just two days ago I noticed a large white spot on one of the black mollies and have noticed it hanging around the heater a lot more than normal and venturing through the decor less. It still eats appropriately but then has been returning to the heater area where there are some artificial plans where it hangs out. It doesn’t appear to be ick as it is just one large spot near the fin on the side of the fish. And I haven’t been able to find anything online that looks similar on mollies or otherwise. The other fish still act and appear 100% healthy. The filter has just been changed this week as the old one was gross. I also have vacuumed the gravel and changed the water during the time I have had them. They acclimated well to the tank initially and other than this spot have never showed any signs of distress or sickness.

I get my water tested at a store, they told me all values were good (prior to water change) except that my water was mildly hard which can’t be fixed due to the area I live in.

If you get your water tested at the store make sure they use a liquid test kit (not strips) and give you the numbers. I wouldnt trust them to know a good set of results from bad. Better still get a test kit and do your own testing.

At 3 weeks its highly unlikely you are cycled and your issues could be down to water quality. You have a lot of fish for an uncycled tank.

I would up the frequency of water changes and monitor things.

Back
Top Bottom