Looks like tiny ferns? (pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure which item you are refering to but the green one is a macro algae. Could be Caulerpa mexicana, sertularoides or more probabley taxifolia. Often commonly called "fern" caulerpa.

The little white duster off to the right is a sedentary polychaete and quite harmless.

Cheers
Steve

After some googling, it's either sertularioides or taxifolia. One website says taxifolia is the best for aquarium use and many others say it grows so fast that it takes over and kills everything. I'll have to watch the growth rate, I guess. I hope I can keep it cuz it looks cool.

Upon further reading, it's the Mediterranean strain that grows like crazy (which has been found off the coast of California now). The kind from around Florida (where my LR is from) supposedly isn't a menace.

In all honesty I wouldn't trust or keep any caulerpa species in the main system. The chances of it growing wildly and hindering tank health is quite high. While many have done so successfully, it is still quite a risk. IME, it's best to get rid of it now while it's still small.

If you want macro algaes in your main system, look for non-caulerpa species that are more easily controlled, slower growing and do not reproduce sexually.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom