need some enlightning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madhatter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need some enlightening

Ok, just stumbled onto this site so I figured I would throw this out and see if anyone could help identify what I have here in my tank. Recently a friend of mine gave me this small rock with a few zoas growing on it and when I put it in my tank it began to grow a hair like (sponge?) thing which started to attach to the rock closest too it and now it seems to be growing out of control. I am not too sure exactly what it really is or if I need to be concerned at all. Just seems a little strange to me I guess. The first pic is of the original piece given to me and the other pic shows its growth progress from where it originally started to spread. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

img_872006_0_e074f3efe360a680dc5647234e4a963e.jpg

img_872006_1_e49233037d186a3b3e1c0b2a92322a01.jpg

Last edited:
There are branching type sponges that thrive in low light and/or shadowed areas and that would be my guess. They can become quite the nuiscense and if it were my tank, I'd pull out as much as I can as it grows. HTH

The 1st pic looks like you may have aiptasia (you want to get rid of that too).
Welcome to the site!

I agree with Fluff, I have those growing underneath my bubble coral and they are quite a nuisance. They won't cause any harm, just a bit unsightly.

Back
Top Bottom