Nudibranch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rutrag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't able to grab a camera fast enough to snap a picture when I saw him, but I saw a critter in my tank this morning which I think is some sort of nudibranch that came in with a coral. I had actually seen it the night before, but it was still, I guess in some sort of dormant state sleeping on the glass. In that state, he was basically oval and the size of the limpets I had seen before on my rock, and I thought that was what it was.

Today, I saw him moving about in a somewhat elongated oval/ teardrop shape and he had antennae (which he had to have pulled in the night before) and was moving FAST (at least for a snail-like critter) over the live rock until he ducked down between a couple pieces. He's kind of a tan color (about the color of a sea hare, but not mottled) and is a little more grayish at the center of his bodyand pretty flat. Any ideas?:blink:

If I can snap a photo of him or make a video, I'll post.

I think it might be one of these:

41906-albums1989-picture13730.jpg

Stomatella Varia - A very commonly found hitch hiker. Harmless herbivore which has a unique way of fooling predators. When attacked or pulled off the glass by us, it will drop a large portion of its foot, much like some lizards that break off their tails in an attempt to keep a predator busy while it makes its escape. Keeping to their descriptive species name, they are highly variable in colorations.

Back
Top Bottom