Orange spots that open and close.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
No idea what these are either.

Thought it was just alge as one point, but then my wife pointed out that they open and close with the day / night cycle.

Full sized image can be seen here:
http://gallery.nea-online.net/55Gal/IMG_3145?full=1

IMG_3145.sized.jpg

Kinda looks like sun coral polyps though I've never seen them spread out like that.

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I would guess some type of sponge though. Very neat. I'd be interested in seeing how they progress.

Wow, thanks. :D I appreciate your confidence in me but, there are others on here who have forgotten more than I'll ever know. lol Hopefully Steve-s will stop in and be able to give you a more definite ID. :D

Still too small to be sure but looks like the start of a red tube sponge. Could even be a species of Chordata, as I said though too small yet to be sure. Is this newly aquired rock?

Fan the top of the area gentley and see if they react...

Cheers
Steve

I've had the rock for about 2 or 3 months.. Was purchased from the LFS..

I'll try fanning the area tonight. What kind of reaction should I expect?

I have seen them 'closed up'. When they are that way, they just look like orange spots.

Verbalkint said:
I'll try fanning the area tonight. What kind of reaction should I expect?
A reaction. Some sponges are photosynthetic and will shrink back whe there is no light and expand when there is. They will not commonly react to water movement, a tunicate will.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom