Please help identify crab...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I was feeding a little flake food and this little critter appeared from a piece of live rock.Anyone one ever see his kind before??? Liverock is from or is type Figi...

I have no idea. Crabs are really hard to identify. If you have a sump, that would be the best place for him. Most crabs are scavangers and not much of a threat when they are that small but can become a nuisence as they grow.

Fluff said:
I have no idea. Crabs are really hard to identify. If you have a sump, that would be the best place for him. Most crabs are scavangers and not much of a threat when they are that small but can become a nuisence as they grow.

He is in the QT right now, I found him under the Octopus leather that I just got...I guess he couldnt hurt anything in the refuge...

edit: Here is a much better picture

Stick him in your fuge and wait till he grows a bit more then check out his claws and if they are flat on the tips that means he is an algae grazer, if they are sharp and pointy then he is predatory.. "Hairy" looking crabs usually are preditory however.

Almost looks like a sally light foot minus the large claws.

DragonForce said:
then check out his claws and if they are flat on the tips that means he is an algae grazer

Even "algae eating crabs" are not strict herbivores. Mythrax crabs are omnivores and will munch on whatever they can find if their normal food isn't available.

Crabs are cool, for what they are. They are hardy, durable and have huge personalities. I'm glad you are gonna keep him (in the fuge). :D

I say put him in your sump until he gets biger.Then it sould be easier to tell what kind of crab it is.

boil it and eat it lol i am just kidding.I agree with fluff to put it in your fuge, it would be a great place for it to thrive and grow bigger and when it is bigger it could be more easier to identify. But the crabs might prey on your coepods and amphipods in there to watch out if you have a mandarin fish or scooter blenny.wat happened to his leg and pincer did you rip them off?!

azn_fishy55 said:
boil it and eat it lol i am just kidding.I agree with fluff to put it in your fuge, it would be a great place for it to thrive and grow bigger and when it is bigger it could be more easier to identify. But the crabs might prey on your coepods and amphipods in there to watch out if you have a mandarin fish or scooter blenny.wat happened to his leg and pincer did you rip them off?!

I did the leg by accident, I really dont know what happened to his pincer...

Julian Sprung's reference "Invertibrates" does not show a picture, but states "Mithraculus cincinctimanus has banded purplish legs and associates with anemones and corals." It is in the same genus as the Emerald Crab, M. sculptus, and this looks fairly similar.

Back
Top Bottom