Please help indentify .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cartydl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have seen this guy only twice.

img_923856_0_ad99f57be302cb35b79e4d2ff4a5b0dc.jpg

good or bad guy? it retracts into itself when disturbed, it does not pull into the rock.

img_923856_1_92e458812beb42659b2da7207bf1a010.jpg

and this guy ... he gets around a bit. Generally looks like a clear tube, but every now and then it looks like the picture with brown bits sticking out. Seems to come out more at night.

img_923856_2_b9a545532ecf86fc617230e7492151b3.jpg

Hope the pics are okay. I'm just new to this, and still getting the hand of things. Thanks!!

Not sure what the 1st one is but the 2nd and 3rd look like aiptasia and you want to get rid of those before they spread. Do a search and you'll find a few good ways to get rid of those! :)

Yep, aptasia was my first guess as well :( . I have already read heaps on how to get rid of them. They can look so different, so I just wasn't sure. :oops: Looks like a trip to the LFS is in order. I wonder if we have Joe's Juice here in Australia. I guess the shop will be able to help me.

Thanks! Now, just to find out what no.1 is :?:

The one that is on the floor of the tank ... can I get a container and scoop him out along with some of the subtrate? Or will it stir up the system? or would it still be able to leave behind some of itself and spread?

Kill the 3rd with a turkey baster or syringe filled with less than boiling water(boiling water will squirt back at you). Turkey baster works better. This boiling water will kill the aiptasia and you can suck it's dead body out in the same stroke. No need to go to LFS, Just go to a grocery store and buy a cheap turkey baster. Done. Good luck!

The first guy is an Asterina starfish. It's not uncommon for them to have one or more really long limbs but it looks to be covered in cyano. They reproduce pretty well in the home aquarium so don't be surprised if you find more than one. Not something I'd be concerned about.

On second thought as stated before, the 2nd maybe a zooanthid? The color threw me off. I'd wait for a few opinions on that one

Thanks for your help. I will leave no.2 alone, it seems to be okay so far.

Just need to get rid of that aptasia. They move around a fair bit, so now I have to find it again. there is more than one of them, I've seen about 3 of them now. I can tell they are different ones, because they are different sizes, none of them very big though.

The first guy is an Asterina starfish. They reproduce pretty well in the home aquarium so don't be surprised if you find more than one. Not something I'd be concerned about.

I agree with Cindy as far as the asternia. Here are some in my tank.

100_0616.JPG

Sorry about the dirty glass.

Back
Top Bottom