Purple stuff growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serge

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone.

I have this purple stuff that has been growing in my QT recently. I have made pics and I was wondering if this would be some form or coraline or cyano. Hope the pics are good enough to get an idea of what this stuff is. As seen on the pics, it grows on the LR, but also on the glass and even on the heater. 8O

Thanks for help.

8)

Attachments

• purple_137.jpg
    purple_137.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 216
  • purple2.jpg
    purple2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 154
WHen I have seen coralline on the glass it is always round spots at looks a little swirly(if thats a word)

Thanks for your comments folks. After doing some closer observation this morning, I have to agree that it appears to by cyano indeed. A VERY close look, without glasses, allowed me to even see some "purple hair" growing at some location. :(

Time to reduce light period and amounts of food. I am the culprit for that. :nono: My wife always tell me that I over feed them. :oops:

8O

Make sure you test both the tank water and source water for PO4. You should also evaluate your circulation. Cyno tends to grab hold in areas of low flow.

lando said:
Make sure you test both the tank water and source water for PO4. You should also evaluate your circulation. Cyno tends to grab hold in areas of low flow.

This problem is my QT at the moment, so the impact is minor. I have circulation system that came with the tank with carbon filter and bio wheel. In addition, I have a 6 lbs LR, a power head for additional movement and a sponge filter activated by an air pump. From observing the food flakes circulating in the tank, while feeding the fishes, I think there is sufficient water circulation. My water is from a ro-di unit. As I mentioned initially, I think it is my fault that this has appeared. I will have to get a phosphate test kit as none came with the kit I presently have.

Thanks for your comment, all ideas/suggestions are always welcome when one is a newbie.
:D

Back
Top Bottom