Red bubbles on LR? Don't think it's cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413906129.984804.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413906142.616800.jpg

Could someone help me on id on what this is? Not sure if it some kind of cyano. Almost looks like a polyp. I apologize for the bad photo it's the best the iPad could do. Any advice or direction would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like bubble algae to me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When the actinic go on there's almost like fluorescent speckles on it. I haven't tried touching it or anything. I try and let everything develop and go its natural course if I can. They came out of no where about 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe it is some kind of cyano because I had a outbreak a couple weeks ago and it is tamed now. Also it is only on that piece of rock.

If it helps
Am-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-15 (water change today)
Phos-.25

All tested yesterday. Was on vacation for a week so the numbers had a chance to rise a bit.

The weird thing is I haven't found a thread close to this question. Again, I appreciate anyone's input.

Just tried to remove it and those puppies are latched on tight like a polyp would be. Even tried to pop it and it didn't burst.....weird

Did they retract when you touched them? They do look like bubble algae to me too, but tough to tell

They did not retract. Just kind of took the punch....I was going to use the piece of LR in another spot so might just try and rub them off if you think it's BA....I could see how you think it's that.

Thanks melosu....if I had to go out on a kenya tree limb (bad joke) it is this form of bubble algae from the linkImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413921628.872508.jpg

That's exactly what mine looks like. Mr x, your saying it's ok to leave? What are benefits?if any

The same benefits as any other macroalgae, plus it looks nice. I would use Kent Tech-M and slowly raise the mag to kill the Bryopsis( green hair algae).

Back
Top Bottom