Red carpet? (updated w/ pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have this stuff that keeps growing on my sand. It is not cyano. It's not filmy. It's almost like a really dense vine but really looks more like a fabric. Removing it, it pulls up like a carpet and takes some sand with it. Any ideas what it is? Ways to remove without removing sand? How to not let it grow in the first place?

Thanks

Is there such a thing as red hair algae? That's what green hair algae does.

No, neither of those but thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to take some pics when some grows back. I just removed most of it yesterday. It's like a woven fabric and only spreads across the surface of the sand. Doesn't go upward at all.

I took a few pics. Not great but you can see that it is a network of runners kinda like a vine. It's definitely not cyano. I have cyano too so I can tell the difference. As for phosphates, I have no means to test but I only use RO/DI water.

looks like algea to me...I have the same thing and I just suction it up from time to time. Maybe someone else might have a different opinion...

Back
Top Bottom