Red Starfish ID Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was given this guy the other day. It was labeled as a 'red linckia starfish'. If this is the case I will need to rehome it as my tank is only a 39 gallon. Its almost 3" in diameter. It looks just like the orange sea star (Echinaster sp.) on LiveAquaria to me. Link-
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+581&pcatid=581
If this is the case it should do good in my 39 gallon as it says they only reach about 3", while the linckias grow up to 1' in size. Anyone know if this is a linckia or not?
img_2777493_0_54f947cfdc0edfba7965548d5567484a.jpg

These two starfish look almost identical but if I had to gues it is the red linckia starfish because

The texture on the Echinaster starfish is different than the linckia
image-1768151632.jpg

image-615132799.jpg

This looks more like your starfish because it appears a lot smoother than the Echinaster starfish
image-1454120500.jpg

So I would say that it was sold under the correct name also it is not common to get sold full grown anything

Ive had a few of them and they dont get that big. The only problem with them is they can not be exposed to air. Not even for seconds. They will not make it so be careful of that. I'll post some pictures of mine.

Valid point nicco. Thanks guys. Is it a bad idea to keep it in my 39 gallon? I do have a flame scallop as well. Dunno if they mesd with them or not.

Mine will eat asternia stars. It will get over top of them and just pull them in.

I have plenty asternia stars! I would live for them to go. They make my black background look like the stars in the night sky, just not as pretty. And a white sponge that is everywhere in my tank. My only LFS isnt the best staffed and alot of things can die in their care. Should I home this guy or bring him to the LFS (where he will die unless sold)? Do the red ones get as big as the blue.

Wow that is beautiful.. We had a blue one they are so hard to keep though because of their diet ... Good Luck

I dont know if yours will do the same as mine but if he does you should be ok. He really never put a dent in the asternia population. They were multiplying faster than he was eating them. That's in a 125 though. As I mentioned dont expose to air whatever you do.

Hey melosu, how big have you seen the red ones get? And do you know if they will mess with a flame scallop? I read they like clams.

Back
Top Bottom