Shrimp? Friend or Foe? Anyone recognize this? (1 pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phyl

Aquarium Advice Addict
This doesn't look like any pictures of Mantis that I can find and it doesn't look like any pictures of pistol shrimp that I can find. Can you tell me what kind of shrimp this is?

Thanks!

pc060858s.jpg

There are lots of different colors of pistol shrimp, I think that is what your hitchhiker is.

Yes, I think it is a pistol shrimp as well. A common hitchhiker in LR. It should be fine in your tank. I would suggest getting it a little goby friend. Like a yellow watchman goby. Very cool to watch the two interact.

I hadn't found a pic of one that had stripes like that until I saw the link posted above. And while this one has more of a brown stripe rather than the red ones, it definitely has one claw larger than the other. Glad to hear the resounding pistol as the answer. I was a bit afraid it would turn out to be a mantis (though they have pretty distinguishing bug eyes). It was in a great place to syphon him out of the tank if need be so I figured I'd double check!

A goby buddy is on my list of fish friends for the tank. I'll have to pick a good one for the shrimp to pair up with!

Thanks gang!

Back
Top Bottom