Snails in my reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to see if anyone knows these little guys. I just started noticing them at night. They come out briefly (mainly on the sandbed) after feeding nocturnally for only few minutes. They move rather fast and have a proboscis like thing. I was thing they are pyrams but I'm not sure. Let me know whatcha think!

Attachments

• image-3218841748.jpg
    image-3218841748.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-849662306.jpg
    image-849662306.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1743302582.jpg
    image-1743302582.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-96816072.jpg
    image-96816072.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1933869744.jpg
    image-1933869744.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 75
Nassarius snails but they are lighter colored then any I've personally seen

So then these are wanted guests it seems. I thought they were hard to breed in home aquaria. Anyone ever hear of too many of them?

No they will be fine. Do you have any hermits cause mine make them a snack anytime they get a chance.

Ya I have couple dozen hermits and I just noticed these snails couple days ago, I thought I might be having an outbreak of them. I just caught like 15-20 few minutes ago lol. I havent noticed anything harassing them tho

Ya if you don't see any drop a little of the mysis shrimp "juice" in and in a couple seconds every one of them will come jumping out of the sand and go on the hunt lol its quite the spectacle :)

They are a great addition to a cuc though since they sift the sand and eat any left over foods missed and unreachable to the fish. They also seem to have a nose like a bloodhound lol

Thanks for the info. That's a relief cuz for a lil while there I thought I had some nasties coming after my clams :p

Keithhjs said:
Thanks for the info. That's a relief cuz for a lil while there I thought I had some nasties coming after my clams :p

Nope. Some people are against a cuc but I think if your gonna utilize one nassarius snails are a must and should be kept 1 per every 1-2 gallons I have about 20-25 in my 46 gallon.. give or take a few due to my white hermit crab lol

I'm all for a cuc too. Not only do they do a great job and add to the ecosystem they can be quite entertaining to watch, especially when you find new ones (like these guys for me, ha).

Ya I think the more natural you can make it the better. The closer I am to a self sustained ecosystem the happier I am :)

I think nassarius sanails are Awsome. I will put a piece of raw shrimp or scallop in the tank and they all pop up like little tanks and search around till they find the food. When I saw them in my brothers tank I decided I was doing saltwater. :)

I love to watch my snails. I have a narsaius snail that I see every blue moon and some other snails. I have to get more thanks to a crab that got tossed in my tank by my sister

Back
Top Bottom