Sponge and anemone ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaykatoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I am new to this forum and find it very informative.
I have a 9 gallon eheim cube that has been up and running for about 1 year now. I noticed this sponge that was a hitchhiker on a piece of live rock I picked up when I started the tank.
He got lost for awhile and recently noticed that there are now 4 of them in my tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433299326.192039.jpg
Any idea what type of sponge they are and Are they beneficial?

I also was given this anemone from my local fish store. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433299447.717510.jpg
When I got him 3 weeks ago he was much smaller. Any idea what kind of anemone it is? Thanks

Jaykatoo

Ummm, the nem looks like a Mojano Anemone
White stuff is just run of the mill Sponge growth, they won't harm anything.

Thanks. I thought the sponges were benign. If that's a majano anemone, should I remove it? I hope it isn't though.

Jaykatoo

Yea, I hope someone else can get you a postive ID thats not a Mojano. Hate to have you get rid of the thing. But he will reproduce, and you will get a few of them, if it is Mojano. TO me though, some of them are quite pretty. You might keep that rock he's on seperate from the rest of your rock, in hopes he' doesn't travel, and just keep him.
But Mojano is not the best Nem to keep.
https://www.google.com/search?q=maj...v&sa=X&ei=5TFvVbnqNtDdoAT994PYAg&ved=0CC8QsAQ

It resembles some of those in the link. I will see if I can get a better pic.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can separate the rock he's on cause it is on the bottom supporting a bunch of rock. It looks very vibrant when the LEDS shine!!!

Jaykatoo

Back
Top Bottom