strange growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my turbo snails died. I just left the empty shell in the tank for my hermits. It's kind of hidden near my rocks so I haven't paid much attention to it until today. I noticed a strange growth on it. It's on most of the shell. Anyone know what it is?
Attached Thumbnails

Vermetid snail. They're harmless IMO. Some people on the forum hate them but I've seen no ill effects from having them

If it's a snail..it hasn't moved off of the shell in 4 days. Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the brownish colored growth on top of the empty shell..

Yes they're sessile and live in spiral tubes. They send out mucous nests to trap debris and microorganisms to feed on

Not like other snails but they poke little antenna out of the shell sometimes. Check right after you feed your tank

just took out my magnifier glasses and holy cow...lots of life going on there. looks like copepods living there to and you're right, they are tube looking things when you look at them close up..

Back
Top Bottom