tiny shrimp everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ever since i first set up my sw tank a few months ago, there have been little white things that look like tiny shrimp. im pretty sure they came with my live rock. they have gotten bigger now and started to turn a darker color and every once in a while i see a dead one floating around. they only come out when the lights go out and now there are probably 50 out in the open on my sand. ive never worried about them before, but ive been reading a lot about pest hitchhiker shrimp. does anyone know what these could be and if i should be worried about them?

they're very good for your system. do they look like bugs? or potato bugs? if so they're pods and are beneficial.

yeah that must be what they are, they look a lot like bugs. thanks for the advice

Sounds like mysid shrimp. Also a very common and beneficial hitchiker.

Cheers
Steve

The link above will help with the mysid. There is a pic of an amphipod (Looks like a molt actually) in a sticky post at the beginning of this forum. A copepod looks much like lice.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom