Unknowns in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw all of these last night. 1. a clam or mollusk of some kind in my LR. No colour except white when it opens and is the same colour as the rock and about the size of the of your thumbnail. 2. little long thin black bugs that scurry into rocks when light comes on. about 1/8" long. 3. In on of the holes in the rock a white skinny tentacle(?) spanning inside the hole (approx 1.5" long). not effected by light and gone today. If pics needed let me know. Any help would be appreciated! :)

1. is sounds like a clam or some type of bi-valve. They are pretty common and nothing to be concerned with.
2. sounds like amphipods. Again, nothing to be concerned with. They are beneficial.
3. sounds like a serpent/brittlestar. There are miniature stars that live within the live rock and all you'll ever see is a tentacle or two from time to time.

thanks for the info i like hearing that the things i am finding are benifical. I question #3 only because I have a few serpent stars (small) and this didn't look like the stars. It looked like a smooth milk colour tenticile. diffinitley doesn't look the same. Thanks

Hmm. I can't think of anything else right now that would be "milky" in color. If you happen to see it again, try and get a picture of it.

1. is sounds like a clam or some type of bi-valve. They are pretty common and nothing to be concerned with.
2. sounds like amphipods. Again, nothing to be concerned with. They are beneficial.
3. sounds like a serpent/brittlestar. There are miniature stars that live within the live rock and all you'll ever see is a tentacle or two from time to time.

I agree with Fluff on the above

unknown arm

Ok i caught a few pics of it before the flash made it retract. It is def not a serp. star unless the arms on them can contract into themselves. It looked almost it was made of elastic. It also looked like it board its way in or out of the rock( new sediment around its entrance). One pic is it stretched out (right to left) and the second is as it is retracting itself. Anyone know what this might be?[/img]

Back
Top Bottom