What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lostdiver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have had this LR in for about six months. Just saw this thing sticking out of one of the holes. Not sure what it is any ideas? Thanks in advance. Looks kind of like little branches that is uses for arms to catch stuff in the water then it pulls into mouth in its center.

Attachments

• image-2411749395.jpg
    image-2411749395.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 209
  • image-2655687408.jpg
    image-2655687408.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 222
I can't get a clearer close up pic of this but if you can see all those arms are coming off a central disk, it is probably a small basket starfish. It would feed on plankton and you are correct, they catch it in their arms and feed the mouth in the center. Usually hang out in stronger water currents as well.

Hope this helps...

I'm interested to know what this is...I also have a couple in my tank

It's not a starfish of any kind. I think it's some sort of NPS. I have one on one of my rocks.

Non-photosynthetic. They don't need light like other coral, normally do better in shaded areas and require lots of feeding.

Non-photosynthetic. They don't need light like other coral, normally do better in shaded areas and require lots of feeding.

Thanks for the explaination. I wasn't even close with my guesses :lol:

If you've ever had a basket star, it looks similar and behaves similar but the give away is the central disk as opposed to a "stalk" like an anemone or soft coral. I just couldn't get a clearer picture (or my eyes are finally going ;)) to say for sure.

Thanks again (y)

Back
Top Bottom