What is this thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJCRIC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what this is!!!! I found it last night after all the lights went off, He was hanging out by the base of my Colt and my colt is not looking to good today. I a not sure if he could be harmful. It looks like a slug of some kind, and is about 1 inch long. he was a deep Maroon color and had 2 antenna on his head it also looked like he had some weird little round thing sticking out of his back. Help please.

It is commonly called an "elephant snail", a great hitchiker. They are very good with film algeas and completely harmless.

The "round thing" sticking out of it's back is the shell. They have an oval shaped univalve much like the limpet.

Cheers
Steve

Great thanks, If definitely looks like that and thanks for the link. Is it only nocturnal or will I get to see him during the day too.

It is primarily nocturnal but does show up from time to time during the day. If there are no other bothersome animals, it may come out during the day more often as it realizes it is safe from predatation. The one I had took over a year before it was seen somewhat regularly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom