What kind of snail do i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
My boys caught a couple of these guys off the Texas Gulf coast. They stay buried under the sand until I feed the fish, then out they come! They have one long antenna that usually stays above the sand when they go under. Hard to tell from the pic, but the shell is elongated and very smooth.

Attachments

• image-4029428593.jpg
    image-4029428593.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 161
I was thinking of adding some more. Do you have any advice on how many are good for a tank? I read 1-2 per gallon. That seems like a lot! I have a 75 gallon tank

Are you sure that's a nassarius? The shell looks a little too oblong to me. Although, it could just be the picture.

I would only get a few nassarius snails since they aren't really the best cleaners. They are really really neat though, when you feed your fish they will rise up out of the substrate like zombies and begin frantically searching for food :)

I took a look and I don't think it is a cowrie or a nassarius. At least the shell doesn't look like those. It is much more elongated. The behavior is right though.

Yes. It looks like an olive snail. I'm reading mixed reviews about them. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

Got another snail to ID. My 7 year old bought these home from the gulf and I forgot they were in there until this guy emerged from the sand yesterday. Anyone know what this one us? We call them " torpedoes"

Here it is. He's very small no bigger at wound than a pencil. About an inch long

Attachments

• image-3232205973.jpg
    image-3232205973.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom