What's this worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iluvsaltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help. Found this under my live rock and it slithers thru in and out? Is it a bristleworm??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391998041129.jpg
    1391998041129.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 127
More pics

Attachments

• 1391998139748.jpg
    1391998139748.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 122
na6yty9u.jpg

It's just a plain bristle worm. They are harmless scavengers. Just be sure not to touch them with your hands or you will get a finger full of spikes.

That looks like a eunicid worm which is bad news

I'm actually going to second this. The second picture makes me think so. There is one way to find out, to catch it and find out if it needs to be removed. These guys need physical removal, if it is what we think it is. So, how to catch and remove without breaking him apart...because that is also bad news. Easy to do with the bottle method.
Take a plastic pop bottle. Cut the top off, turn it the other way, tape it on, and toss some food inside. Tilt your contraption at an upward angle and wait.

He went into my mantis cave and I was sure the mantis would eat him like everything else but all of a sudden the mantis comes running out scared to death! I had to remove the rock soak in freshwater and then break the rock apart to remove him. He was definitely the eunicid worm. I researched and compared him to the pics. I had tried to get him out with my handy tongs and when I did it just broke it's body piece off. I had the rock put in a quarantine with the piece that broke off and the dang thing was still alive when I got up the next morning. How freaky. Thanks everyone. He is gone now and my live rock is in several pieces. Luckily it was a rock in the corner of my nano.

Just wondering but estimating how long do you think it was? I know they can get a ridiculous 8-9 feet

Back
Top Bottom