White buildup on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roly99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my tank running for about 5 weeks. I recently started seeing some white streaks forming on the glass. It seems to be near the rocks on the glass. They come off rather easily with the magnetic scrapper. I am just curious as to what they are. This was an angled pic, and there is also some more buildup on the other side. Any suggestions? My girlfriend suggested calcium buildup?

Thanks.

Attachments

• white-stuff.jpg
    white-stuff.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 93
Could be precip/calcium or possibley the beginnings of coralline. These are not usually easy to remove with a magnetic scraper though. What species of snails do you have?

Cheers
Steve

Are you sure that the spots are on the inside. That long streak looks like a saltwater drip on the outside of the tank.

I already have some coralline growing and I dont have any snails just yet (waiting for some more algae.

And these sports are indeed in the interior wall of the tank. I removed it quite easily with my finger.

We discussed it during chat on sunday and it seems to be algae (definitely feels like it).

Roly99 said:
I removed it quite easily with my finger.

We discussed it during chat on sunday and it seems to be algae (definitely feels like it).
In all honesty I doubt that. The shape of the growths are far too symmetrical to be common algae or bacteria for the most part. Color wise, the only thing that makes sense is newly formed coralline, precip or egg masses.

Cheers
Steve

Well, does newly formed coralline come off easily with finger? And as for egg masses I suppose you mean snail eggs (which i dont have), could be calcium...thats what my girlfriend said it looks like. It's really dense in the middle and forms a streak in either direction...weird stuff, I'll keep an eye on it tho.

Thanks Steve.

Roly99 said:
Well, does newly formed coralline come off easily with finger?
Not normally unless using your finger nail, nor would precip for that matter.

And as for egg masses I suppose you mean snail eggs (which i dont have),
If you have LR, check at night after lights out for hitchikers.

Cheers
Steve

I have, but i'll be sure to pay more attention to the glass. I mostly pay attention to the rocks (and 2 featherdusters i found). I shall check tonight.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom