Worm found in LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, today I bought some frozen blood worms to add a little diversity in the diet of my fish. It's now lights off time in my tank, I noticed what looks like a blood worm that burrowed into a a peice of live rock? It looks exactly like frozen blood worms that I fed today. Is this possible? It's an inch or so long.

Not likely the same worm. There are several possibilities though. I wouldn't worry about it. Most worms are harmless.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most worms are harmless.

But many are not. I have a three inch long worm in my reef tank right now... I think that it's a Eunicid. I've been trying to catch him for months and have been unsuccessful. I've tried the bristle worm trap that you can buy at the LFS and the "coke bottle" trick. No joy. He's been having my Xenias for dinner every night and now that he's finished them, my Goniopora is dessert.

Sorry you are having trouble but even eunicid worms are usually just scavengers. It's a gamble with them rather they are gonna take a liking to your corals, much the same as fireworms. This is why those particular worms are suggested they be removed. This inch or so long worm that he's seeing, I doubt is one of the bad worms. Most of the worms found in liverock are harmless.

I'm not positive that it is a Eunicid. I posted a message a few months ago on this site detailing my experience with this worm and some members thought that it was probably a Eunicid. He only comes out after lights out and I see him with my red lens covered flashlight. He always stays with his "tail" in a rock so that he can quickly pull back when he senses danger as he happily munches on my corals. I've even tried to catch him with tweezers and a baster but he is very wary and incredibly fast. How frustrating! You're right, Fluff... probably 99 percent of worms are harmless and actually beneficial detritivores-- but watch out for that other 1 percent.

Back
Top Bottom