Wrasse ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Brought him home after testing his temperament in the store. Not sure what he actually is but it's not showing aggression.....yet

Attachments

• image-2881600773.jpg
    image-2881600773.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 100
Looks like a type of dottyback.

I know little about dottybacks so i may be wrong, but it has a similar body structure of a splendid dottyback.

Looks like a type of dottyback.

I know little about dottybacks so i may be wrong, but it has a similar body structure of a splendid dottyback.

May be I'm not sure a customer traded it in and didn't know what it was. All he wanted was a black clown so I swapped him. He was under the impression it was a wrasse

Yes, a red dottyback ... Labracinus cyclophthalmus. Some guide books will say this form (with stripes on alternate scale rows) is a different species (L. melanotaenia), but there is considerable variation in the degree of striping in individuals from the same localities, and I regarded them as representing a single species in my 2004 revision of pseudochromine species. However, I am revisiting the issue in the light of new genetic evidence.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom