Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meesh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am crazy about my Clown Loaches. I upped my shoal from three to six and they are much happier. They frolic together, pile up together in the caves I have in my tank. It's hard getting a good pic though, as soon as I approach my tank with my camera they scatter and hide (meanwhile my Betta strikes a pose, lol).

Anyone else here a fan of these wonderful fish? 20170613_163822.jpg

I have enjoyed mine for the last 15 + years...
99907-albums14345-picture69025.jpg

I had eleven but then a buddy had an accident and lost all but one of his so he shipped it to me..
12 it is..

I have enjoyed mine for the last 15 + years...
99907-albums14345-picture69025.jpg

I had eleven but then a buddy had an accident and lost all but one of his so he shipped it to me..
12 it is..
Those aren't very big for being 15 or are those still juveniles? Asking cause mine aren't even 2 years old and are huge.

Beautiful! How big is the tank?

I am crazy about my Clown Loaches. I upped my shoal from three to six and they are much happier. They frolic together, pile up together in the caves I have in my tank. It's hard getting a good pic though, as soon as I approach my tank with my camera they scatter and hide (meanwhile my Betta strikes a pose, lol).

Anyone else here a fan of these wonderful fish? View attachment 300535
I would show you mine but like you said the take off when you approach the tank lol

They look amazing in a schooling tank. I recommend you check out Corey from AquariumCoop, he's setting up a massive tank for a crazy amount of clown loaches :lol:

Hi I've got 11 clown loaches in my 300l I know it's not big enough but I just can't stop loving these fish always so active.Mine are scared of everything as they've just been put into a new tank but give them time and they will get used to you.If you feed them in the same spot eventually they will come to that spot when there hungry.

Just saw a good view of my big guy and he's really gone through a growth spurt. Now instead of 3x the little guys size he is about 5x! Will need to capture a decent pic. He has his favorite spots to the rear of the tank. Behind everything - not an deal spot for clicking pics.

Just saw a good view of my big guy and he's really gone through a growth spurt. Now instead of 3x the little guys size he is about 5x! Will need to capture a decent pic. He has his favorite spots to the rear of the tank. Behind everything - not an deal spot for clicking pics.

In a word NICE!

Those aren't very big for being 15 or are those still juveniles? Asking cause mine aren't even 2 years old and are huge.

I am not thinking they are juveniles at 12-15 years old ?
I have read that they may live up to 50 years old so maybe they are just maturing?
Since they have been with me[12-15 years] they have never been in less then a 135g tank.
I am thinking of pulling two into a breeder tank and seeing what I get.They have seemed to be showing breeding behavior since the EBA they share the tank with have been spawning every 2 weeks or so....I have read the ONE report of spawning in captivity and think I stand a 'chance'?:hide:
Breeding Clown Loaches - Granville Hammond — Loaches Online

I am not thinking they are juveniles at 12-15 years old ?
I have read that they may live up to 50 years old so maybe they are just maturing?
Since they have been with me[12-15 years] they have never been in less then a 135g tank.
I am thinking of pulling two into a breeder tank and seeing what I get.They have seemed to be showing breeding behavior since the EBA they share the tank with have been spawning every 2 weeks or so....I have read the ONE report of spawning in captivity and think I stand a 'chance'?:hide:
Breeding Clown Loaches - Granville Hammond — Loaches Online
You can do it CB, you're very knowledgeable, what I was referring to was yours were if my memory serves me (rarely does lol) if yours I believe were about 15" long I believe, mine were about a year and were 4-4.5", do they grow that slowly after a couple years?

EDIT, I mistook the 15 years for inches my apologies bud.

I am dreaming of bandit loaches
So am I !
My wife does not want me to break up the group as they are such social fish...
I have a couple 40 breeders open now and was thinking of a pair of the EBA and a pair of the clowns for a month or so with super soft water and live fish /food ? I think the EBA being 'so active' are causing the clowns to have a symbiotic reaction with hormones or something the EBA are releasing when they spawn?:whistle:
Rick I have seen much larger clowns then mine. It is just after 15 years you start to believe a fish is 'bullet proof'. I have never seen eggs but I know I have witnessed spawning/pre spawning behavior even just recently.:brows:
Many of the articles speak of soft water which these fish in my 180 do NOT enjoy . I easily and readily already have this water for breeding my rams so I think the clowns may become even more driven if giving the breeding conditioning treatment.

So am I !
My wife does not want me to break up the group as they are such social fish...
I have a couple 40 breeders open now and was thinking of a pair of the EBA and a pair of the clowns for a month or so with super soft water and live fish /food ? I think the EBA being 'so active' are causing the clowns to have a symbiotic reaction with hormones or something the EBA are releasing when they spawn?:whistle:
Rick I have seen much larger clowns then mine. It is just after 15 years you start to believe a fish is 'bullet proof'. I have never seen eggs but I know I have witnessed spawning/pre spawning behavior even just recently.:brows:
Many of the articles speak of soft water which these fish in my 180 do NOT enjoy . I easily and readily already have this water for breeding my rams so I think the clowns may become even more driven if giving the breeding conditioning treatment.
I wish mine were bullet proof, everytime I think of them I get so bummed out

Back
Top Bottom