Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Show Off/Photography
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Just wanted to share!

My Betta hangs out with the rambunctious corydoras, then when he's had enough he cruises back to the top! So neat

__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Thanks for sharing!!! I absolutely love corydoras, but can't have any:'( my favorite is the panda Corydora
__________________

__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b View Post
Thanks for sharing!!! I absolutely love corydoras, but can't have any:'( my favorite is the panda Corydora
They are for sure the cutest little plumb fish! They are adorable waddling about the tank. I'm sorry you can't have any! They are a delight!

I can't decide which kind I like the best! I think the False Bandit gets my attention a bit more than the others though
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Austin.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish

They are for sure the cutest little plumb fish! They are adorable waddling about the tank. I'm sorry you can't have any! They are a delight!

I can't decide which kind I like the best! I think the False Bandit gets my attention a bit more than the others though
Yeah for sure!! In my next tank, I will have sand so.....CORYDORAS!! Haha I've heard you can't have them in gravel tank because of their barbels. That's the only thing keeping me away from a schoal of these haha
__________________
Everyone should have at least ONE shrimp tank
Austin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.b View Post
Yeah for sure!! In my next tank, I will have sand so.....CORYDORAS!! Haha I've heard you can't have them in gravel tank because of their barbels. That's the only thing keeping me away from a schoal of these haha
I read that they enjoy sand, but also do well with large rounded smooth gravel...not really gravel anymore really. But, I've had ours for months now and their barbals are still healthy and long. IMO as long as it's not rough or course gravel, they do just fine...at least from my own experience.
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Derekkaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 195
I on the other hand have seen wear and barbels getting small from gravel. I wouldnt recommend it.
__________________
Derekkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkaine View Post
I on the other hand have seen wear and barbels getting small from gravel. I wouldnt recommend it.
Since you've experienced wear on the barbels, I am interested in knowing what type of gravel you had? I just want to be sure mine will in fact continue to be okay. So far so good, but better to hear from others than to continue using the big soft round gravel that I use if you had something very much the same.
Thank you!
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Derekkaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 195
I used gravel that was about 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

From observing the feeding habits it appears they try to move the gravel to access food. They dont seem to be able to move the gravel as it is fairly heavy. Imagine only ever being able to sift through that. I believe sand is or a mixture of that and rocks in their natural habitat.

I can conclude that the wear is associated with how long they are in a pure gravel enviroment. In terms of how long i would say 6 months +. Wether some species have more fragile barbels im not sure. I can say that it happened to a pair of panda corys.
__________________
Derekkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkaine View Post
I used gravel that was about 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

From observing the feeding habits it appears they try to move the gravel to access food. They dont seem to be able to move the gravel as it is fairly heavy. Imagine only ever being able to sift through that. I believe sand is or a mixture of that and rocks in their natural habitat.

I can conclude that the wear is associated with how long they are in a pure gravel enviroment. In terms of how long i would say 6 months +. Wether some species have more fragile barbels im not sure. I can say that it happened to a pair of panda corys.
Well, thank you for your input. After reading this, I have deicded to return them to the LFS. We don't have sand and won't be able to get any for awhile...so I will just have to wait to have corys until a later date. My poor Betta will be looking for them for ever! That's going to be sad. He loves them! Every morning when the lights come on he immediately heads down to there "house" and gets them out, then they school together.
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
You can get a bag of pool filter sand for less than $10. Maybe you can reconsider.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
You can get a bag of pool filter sand for less than $10. Maybe you can reconsider.
Have you experience with pool filter sand? I have read so much contradicting information regarding its use, so much so that I am afraid to try it.

Also, my husband is very tired of money out put towards the fish tanks lately, so I have to ease up for awhile... oops...
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Derekkaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 195
Home depot sells play sand 6 bucks for 50 lbs. rinse several times and your good to go.
__________________
Derekkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkaine View Post
Home depot sells play sand 6 bucks for 50 lbs. rinse several times and your good to go.
What would you recommend adding to it for plants? I wonder would it work fine over the top of "top soil" and crushed oyster shells.

I do regular gravel cleaning at the same time as my 25% water changes every 2 days. With sand, I am at a loss for how to clean it. I have read about sand being bad for beginners to the hobby. I love sand though! My favorite Aqua-Scapes have sandy bottoms.
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Derekkaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 195
Nah its just as easy as gravel.

Put 1" - 1 1/2" down.

As far as the gravel vac goes you can hover it slighty above the gravel. If alot of sand goes up the tube you can pinch the plastic tubing and it will drop down.

Every few months you should agitate half or a portion of the sand to release any gases that might accumulate.

I find sand is alot cleaner and the food doesnt get trapped as easy as gravel.

And if you have some corys the make cool trails by swimming through it.
__________________
Derekkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekkaine View Post
Nah its just as easy as gravel.

Put 1" - 1 1/2" down.

As far as the gravel vac goes you can hover it slighty above the gravel. If alot of sand goes up the tube you can pinch the plastic tubing and it will drop down.

Every few months you should agitate half or a portion of the sand to release any gases that might accumulate.

I find sand is alot cleaner and the food doesnt get trapped as easy as gravel.

And if you have some corys the make cool trails by swimming through it.
Oh that's great news! I think sand is really beautiful in tanks! Thank you so much for sharing!
I will do some research about changing from gravel substrate to soil covered with sand. And since I will be re-vamping the tank, I might as well set it up for my low tech plan I've been working on. I assume I will have to move the fish and water to buckets to lay the soil, oyster shells and sand down. Then refill the tank with the water, maybe a plate with some of the gravel substrate on it to keep some of the good bacteria in the tank until a later date when everything has a chance to get working properly again.
Although I did read that top soil instantly cycles a tank making it ready for fish the same day. Since I will be keeping the gravel in the tank (on a plate) and the same filter media it should be just fine to put the fish back in same night. Of course I will do a water test! And gradually acclimate the fish to their new tank, because even though it will be the same water, I believe the soil and oyster shells will change it.

What do you think?
__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, community tank, corydoras, hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 75 project advice wanted... Ripsnort Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 15 11-21-2011 08:47 AM
just wanted to say hi! Switzer Member Introductions 1 09-04-2011 08:36 PM
Wanted to share some good news Ickletas Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 08-11-2011 07:32 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.