More pic of my fishies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, they are adorable. I've been told they are pandas and bandits now, I think I'll start calling them bandas or pandits. lol

They are definitely bandits, it's hard to tell from that angle but the other pics I've seen show it pretty well, just look at the black marking, bandits have a solid black streak from just in front of the tail to the dorsal and pandas don't.

What strain is that discus? It looks like it may be stressed, I know mine go dark when they are stressing or sick, but also when they were first added to the tank so he may be getting settled in.

don't know the strain, but all four were very dark when I bought them. I was lead to believe that getting them young (about silver dollar size) and with dull colors would mean they weren't fed a bunch of hormones to make them bright, and that would give them a better shot at surviving. One has already brightened up quite a bit, in the pics he/she is the more orange of the four.

The store had a bunch of different discus, I intentionally bought the ones that weren't marked "wild" hoping that would make them more stable.

They seem to be doing well so far, they are even getting used to me walking by the tank. They are starting to come to the front of the tank to see me but they do still hang out in the plants and under the DW most of the time.

My tank pH (7.4) was much higher than the tank at the store (6.8) but I drip acclimated them and they do seem to be doing well. Hungry little buggers though, almost can't feed them enough.

Any coaching on keeping them is most welcome.

With mine I didn't do anything special, I did lose a few out of original group, but those that pulled through are tough as nails. I really dislike super sensitive fish and flat out refuse to do daily water changes just to keep them.

I know a lot of people who keep these fish have different methods, so you'll probably hear a myriad of different ways to do things. I think the general idea though is to baby them when they are small, feed often, water change often, and once they get a bit bigger they are much more hardy and don't need as much special care.

The orange looking one looks fine to me its just that dark one that is pictured first that I was concerned about.

I have the filter pump cranked fully open and the water return pointed into the glass on the back of the tank. Do you happen to know if I should turn it down? Do Dicus dislike lots of water flow?

Back
Top Bottom