My 12gal fluval edge aquascaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guilty, here, too. Got caught up in the discussion.

Miylee, you said that your plants weren't doing well, but they look really good in the pic. What is it that's going wrong with them?

You mentioned you got a different light source, but the bright LED's that came with my Fluval have been fine for my plants, but they are on a timer for 14 hours each day. But I may have low-light plants.

You mentioned the pre-filter sponge by Fluval to cover up the intake valve. I've looked at it, too. Are you wanting it just for aesthetic purposes to cover up the plactic valve? I think that it will cut down on your filter flow, and it will keep large bits of detritus (like pieces of plants, etc.) from being filtered out. It does keep smaller critters like small shrimp and fish from being sucked into it, but I havn't had any issues with my amano or cherry shrimp. It would hide the intake valve if that's what you're aiming for, but some big plants in front of it would do that, too.

You mentioned dirty specks after using the bacteria solution. I never noticed that with mine. Did they go away?

Your tank looks really nice already. I think someone asked what kind of substrate you used, but I didn't catch the answer. Is it some kind of plant substrate? I've had some problems with plants floating up a little and exposing their roots with my gravel, but I push them back down and eventually they hold--I think the roots have to get established. I'd like to know what you used, though, because it looks really nice and clean.
I sent you a pm btw. I thought you were the op lol

Also if she is trying to breed shrimp she will defintely want to cover the intake. I have the intake covered with a bag with holes basically the same size as panthose. It hasnt hurt my tank. My 5 gallon filter came with a sponge thing on the intake that also works great.

I'm guilty, here, too. Got caught up in the discussion.

Miylee, you said that your plants weren't doing well, but they look really good in the pic. What is it that's going wrong with them?

You mentioned you got a different light source, but the bright LED's that came with my Fluval have been fine for my plants, but they are on a timer for 14 hours each day. But I may have low-light plants.

You mentioned the pre-filter sponge by Fluval to cover up the intake valve. I've looked at it, too. Are you wanting it just for aesthetic purposes to cover up the plactic valve? I think that it will cut down on your filter flow, and it will keep large bits of detritus (like pieces of plants, etc.) from being filtered out. It does keep smaller critters like small shrimp and fish from being sucked into it, but I havn't had any issues with my amano or cherry shrimp. It would hide the intake valve if that's what you're aiming for, but some big plants in front of it would do that, too.

You mentioned dirty specks after using the bacteria solution. I never noticed that with mine. Did they go away?

Your tank looks really nice already. I think someone asked what kind of substrate you used, but I didn't catch the answer. Is it some kind of plant substrate? I've had some problems with plants floating up a little and exposing their roots with my gravel, but I push them back down and eventually they hold--I think the roots have to get established. I'd like to know what you used, though, because it looks really nice and clean.
I guess I may have over exaggerated.. it was only 1 of my plants that wasn't doing too well... actually its pretty much a gonner from the looks of it now, all torn and see through. It's strange, because the rest seem to be doing okay. I think it may be the whole light and timing thing. i think that you mentioned that your plants are possibly doing well because of the consistent lighting conditions and I have yet to buy a timer. going to school and running around late sometimes gets me off guard to turn off my lights or even I would turn them off early if I know i wont be home to turn them off till late. i think ill probably go pick one up tomorrow.. and I am considering to do the fish in cycle w/ seeding material for the fluval and a fishless for my new 6 gallon mr.aqua rimless tank i got several days ago :ROFLMAO:

The pre-filter sponge was bought mainly for asthetics but also in preparation for future fry if the tank was to get some kinda surprise.
the substrate that I used in the tank was bought at my lfs, named Neptunes, besides their ADA Amazonian soil was this knockoff brand which was a little cheaper but was recommended to me by the sa who has used the same substrate for his planted tank. he says its basically the same stuff, made in japan, forgot the name of it, might've been written in japanese even :p

oh and those stubborn speckles from the good bacteria i added in the tank...they went away after I slightly brushed them off the leafs surface :3

btw, i really enjoy the stocking of your fluval. looks like so much fun to watch everyone busy at work and enjoying the liveliness of it all ^_^

lol Godfan, sorry off topic, but does lot of ppl tell you that your sig is awesome? :D yay for pudding :]

Looks really good. Have you decided on what fish you want when your tank is ready?.

ty :) i have narrowed down to... red cherry shrimp, celestial pearl danio, harlequin rasboras, mosquito microrasbora/ other micro rasbora species, a/o betta. :)

I guess I may have over exaggerated.. it was only 1 of my plants that wasn't doing too well... actually its pretty much a gonner from the looks of it now, all torn and see through. It's strange, because the rest seem to be doing okay. I think it may be the whole light and timing thing. i think that you mentioned that your plants are possibly doing well because of the consistent lighting conditions and I have yet to buy a timer. going to school and running around late sometimes gets me off guard to turn off my lights or even I would turn them off early if I know i wont be home to turn them off till late. i think ill probably go pick one up tomorrow.. and I am considering to do the fish in cycle w/ seeding material for the fluval and a fishless for my new 6 gallon mr.aqua rimless tank i got several days ago :ROFLMAO:

The pre-filter sponge was bought mainly for asthetics but also in preparation for future fry if the tank was to get some kinda surprise.
the substrate that I used in the tank was bought at my lfs, named Neptunes, besides their ADA Amazonian soil was this knockoff brand which was a little cheaper but was recommended to me by the sa who has used the same substrate for his planted tank. he says its basically the same stuff, made in japan, forgot the name of it, might've been written in japanese even :p

oh and those stubborn speckles from the good bacteria i added in the tank...they went away after I slightly brushed them off the leafs surface :3

I think you'll see a marked improvement with your plants on the timer. Consistency is supposed to be very important, and the timer allows you to just set it and forget it. thanks for the info on the substrate. And good luck with everything!

btw, i really enjoy the stocking of your fluval. looks like so much fun to watch everyone busy at work and enjoying the liveliness of it all ^_^

Thanks! Sometimes I just pull a bench up and watch it like its a television! There's always someone doing something interesting in there.

ty :) i have narrowed down to... red cherry shrimp, celestial pearl danio, harlequin rasboras, mosquito microrasbora/ other micro rasbora species, a/o betta. :)

Sounds like a good combo for a betta community tank. Keeps us posted how things work out. And take pics, of course!

miylee said:

Be careful with cpds. They can be a hard fish sometimes and are quite pricey for a nanofish. I got some a while ago and put them with a pair of sparkling gouramis and the cpds acted very anxious and sparkling gouramis just destroyed them. I lost like $70 to cpds

Tcal01 said:
Be careful with cpds. They can be a hard fish sometimes and are quite pricey for a nanofish. I got some a while ago and put them with a pair of sparkling gouramis and the cpds acted very anxious and sparkling gouramis just destroyed them. I lost like $70 to cpds

I got 12 cpds a month ago for my shrimp tank. I have 2 left but I am lucky enough to have a male and female pair left. I only pay $3 each for mine for a local breeder though but it still sucks to lose that many fish.

Fdsh5 said:
I got 12 cpds a month ago for my shrimp tank. I have 2 left but I am lucky enough to have a male and female pair left. I only pay $3 each for mine for a local breeder though but it still sucks to lose that many fish.

Yah I just got Harlequin rasboras instead. wow u got a great deal. Everywhere I have looked, even online, they are around 6-7 dollars each. Cpds are veeeeery cute tho. They remind me of miniature trout :)

I'm hoping they breed for me. They are so shy I have to sit for a while before they swim out.

Just Googled CPDs. Wow, they are pretty! Wish I had known of them before getting my cardinal tetras. What makes them so hard to keep?

Thanks miylee! You are the first person to comment on it actually!

BarleyBear said:
Just Googled CPDs. Wow, they are pretty! Wish I had known of them before getting my cardinal tetras. What makes them so hard to keep?

They are just very nervous. They are very sensitive. Then the other fish pick up on their behavior and just pick on them. They aren't very tight schoolers either so that doesn't help. People forget that fish are still wild animals and it's survival of the fittest even in a fish tank

They are just very nervous. They are very sensitive. Then the other fish pick up on their behavior and just pick on them. They aren't very tight schoolers either so that doesn't help. People forget that fish are still wild animals and it's survival of the fittest even in a fish tank[/QU

Thanks for the info.

They are just very nervous. They are very sensitive. Then the other fish pick up on their behavior and just pick on them. They aren't very tight schoolers either so that doesn't help. People forget that fish are still wild animals and it's survival of the fittest even in a fish tank

i know that pgmy corys are harmless.. i feel like a small group of pgmy cory would do just fine with a school of CDPs :) just my thought & also one of my ideas for my tank setup. WHICH BTW..... MY TANK HAS COMPLETELY CYCLED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: ...................and yet i still have not decided on my community tank fishies :nono: lol.

I have narrowed down some options... feel free to announce your votes from the following. im thinking of picking out 3-4 different species for my community tank. also open for any other suggestions ! thanks everyone:fish2:

-Celestial pearl danios
-Harlequin Rasboras
-Pgmy Cory
-Red Cherry Shrimp
-Rummy nose tetras
-Cardinal tetras
-Normans lampeye killifish
-Tiger barbs

miylee said:
i know that pgmy corys are harmless.. i feel like a small group of pgmy cory would do just fine with a school of CDPs :) just my thought & also one of my ideas for my tank setup. WHICH BTW..... MY TANK HAS COMPLETELY CYCLED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: ...................and yet i still have not decided on my community tank fishies :nono: lol.

I have narrowed down some options... feel free to announce your votes from the following. im thinking of picking out 3-4 different species for my community tank. also open for any other suggestions ! thanks everyone:fish2:

-Celestial pearl danios
-Harlequin Rasboras
-Pgmy Cory
-Red Cherry Shrimp
-Rummy nose tetras
-Cardinal tetras
-Normans lampeye killifish
-Tiger barbs

You could do the cpds, hrs, or the cardinal tetras. Both pygmy cories and shrimp would also go very well in that tank . IMO, tiger barbs and rummy noses need more swimming space than 12g. As for tthe killifish, I really don't know but do some research cuz they might work out well. Don't forget to post your end result too :)

Back
Top Bottom