My Stingray!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello to everybody, I know it's been a while since I've made a post. Had some things come up in life, but I'm back! I want to show you guys my California stingray I got back about 6 months ago I talked about getting, but I don't think I ever put a picture up of him here! He's such an awesome stingray and he's doing soooo awesome. I named him Raymond haha. Unbelievably personable. Loves to be handfed.

Sorry if the pic isn't that great, he didn't wanna get out of the sand haha he's being lazy right now but I think he's sleeping.

My only concern I have for him is he's growing more and more everyday and I think I'm gonna have to move him into a 180 gallon at least. Right now he's happy in a 125 gallon though. What other kind of stuff or fish can I have in the tank with him?

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 164
Na he's actually not all that big, he's a perfect size right now for the 125 I have. But if he does continue to grow at the rate he is I'm gonna have to get him into a 200 gallon tank probably. I have a gigantic fish net I can catch him in if I ever do need to transport him.

I just can't believe how awesome he's doing! Everyone was being so negative toward me about getting a stingray saying "don't bother, they don't do well in captivity he will die blablabla" sure I'll agree on the bluespot stingray, but it seems like california stingrays actually do awesome in captivity.

Everyone was being so negative toward me about getting a stingray saying "don't bother, they don't do well in captivity he will die blablabla" sure I'll agree on the bluespot stingray, but it seems like california stingrays actually do awesome in captivity.

Not true, they do just fine in activity. The issue is alot of people dont realize the size tank they tank because they take such massive ground space. Which to alot of people it means 180-200 gallons because they are buying traditional tanks. i myself am a stingray finatic and am living in florida were my favirote frshwater stingrays are illigal i am gonna have to do SW stingrays. But i plan to make a custom acrylic tank myself or a inside pond for them.

Yeah I live in Florida too and wouldn't live anywhere else, I love it born and raised. But really, what other fish can i have with my ray? can I have any at all? I'll see if I can get a better pic of my ray too today so he's not buried.

Ok - first off - Cali stingrays tend to be cool water rays (generally need water temps below 72F). So most tropical fish are pretty much eleminated - unless you can find species that do well in water temps in the range of 60's to low 70's.

A much better alternative to the cali stingray is the Cortez Stingray aka known as the Chocolate Chip Stingray. These tend to be a bit smaller (about 30-35%), and like tropical waters(72-82F). they also can be kept in a smaller tank - usually at least a 210-240 gallon (7-8'L x 2'W x 2'T). A 300 gallon is better suited for a full grown california stingray.

The tank mates you pick as long as they are big enough to not be swallowed by the stingray and dont need live rock to really feel secure then you can heve them.

The main worry I see at the moment is that bigger tanks tend to get bigger taller and longer, not with more "floor room" to poorly phrase. That ray is gonna need a lot more sand space than i think a 200g can hold. I also expect him to need more space than that fully grown. Hopefully you're building that new tank. :)

But why does he seem like he's doing so well in my 125 gallon though? I mean obviously I can't know what he feels or how he feels inside, but he just seems so happy and healthy. Seems to have quite a bit of room too in the 125 for him. If the tank was to small for him and it effected his health because he is upset he doesn't have enough room to swim, wouldn't he just die? And I figured a 180 would be perfect for him (after all I'm only having one ray and that's all)

I dont know really, all I know is I'm really enjoying him and he seems to be really happy and healthy! :)

Steve

He might be fine NOW. And that is fine, i have no problem with people having a pet and upgrading tanks as it gets larger. The 180 gallons is actually pretty darn close so you would be pretty much set. The 24" width is what is really important. They just do better with that extra foot or two of length is all. IMO you would be pretty much set, it is that extra foot or 2 are just a little bit better. You also have to remember that stingrays are surprisingly very active. What is his length in diameter would you say and his length? Also if you could snap a pic of him unburied.

I'd think he'd need a bit more than 24" myself, he's going to be 10" in diameter and close to 2 feet long. The wider a tank you can ger, the happier he'll be.

However, I'm glad he's doing well, I just want to make sure he'll continue to do well for you. :)

I'd think he'd need a bit more than 24" myself, he's going to be 10" in diameter and close to 2 feet long. The wider a tank you can ger, the happier he'll be.

Ya, that is why a pond is suggested for them. But you do what you need to do. It is hard to find a tank larger then 24".

Yeah I mean when I bought my 180 gallon at my LFS the store owner told me unless you custom order a tank (BIG BUCKS) 24" is the largest usually a tank goes wideness wise. He said I could've gone for a 240 gallon but that wouldn't have helped the width. I'd love to do a pond type thing for the Ray, I just don't have the room. I think the 180 should be great for him though! I'm so excited. :)

Steve

Having a hard time understanding what you mean. Maybe you can expound on it.

He had made the comment that a lot of people told him he shouldn't bother keeping a stingray because it'll just die etc.. and I'm just commending him on his efforts to persevere through the discouragment and succeed with an animal he likes. For example people will say don't keep bettas with community fish(my father inlaw haha) yet he admires the fact that I have 3 in there. That's all I was saying. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

You didnt offend anyone. I was just asking. One thing about aquarium sites is that when you post on them everyone has the right to post their opinions and advice and experiences. I dont believe anyone is talking just to talk or discourage anyone. The OP has the choice to read all the post and decide which to go with.

Nice ray and congrats on keeping an animal everyone says you can't. Good luck with ur bigger tank too.

Thanks! It really is true though, even my LFS who I'm real good friends discouraged me not to have a Ray and says they do horrible in captivity. I knew I could do it though, just a little extra care involved is all and keeping friend carbon in the refugium often.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom