Some new stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some new stuff last night. Another fire shrimp. Didn't get a pic of him, but if you've seen one...... Got a flame scallop. Kymme has wanted one for a while. Also got a Sun coral. I know it has to be fed, but I figure if I'm gonna have to feed the scallop, I can feed the coral at the same time. The sun corals were added into the saltwater order by mistake...they aren't something we normally keep. Anyway, I got it here and made a small cave in the rocks for it. My rock isn't really shaped right to make a cave so it could stand some improvement. May have to look for a piece that will give it better shade. I looked this thing up before I brought it home. Low light...shaded, needs to be target fed no less than twice a week with brine shrimp, zooplankton, ect... I wonder about the frozen "invert food"? This is basically frozen plankton AFAIK. I also thought about crushing up some marine flake and feeding it that sometimes. Any info or experience anyone has with these corals would be appreciated. If what I have read was correct, when the polyps open, it is hungry and should be fed then.
Also got another clown to replace poor Bozo. I have two heaters in the sump and the plugs are secured with wire ties so there shouldn't be any more disasters with heater plugs coming loose. Here's the pics.
Logan J

I had heard flame scallops were very sensitive, let me know your experiences..was pondering getting one. The sun coral looks nice and so does the clown.

I may have messed up with the flame. I have done some more reading and apparently they are not as easy to feed as the first few articles I read suggested. I tried to give it some Phytoplex and it slammed shut...didn't like it I guess. Anyway, I'm gonna experiment with some different plankton foods and see if I can find one it likes. According to the last article I read, I'll have to shut down the pumps for a couple of hours every day and feed the darn thing. I'll find that article again when I get the chance and send you the link. They require a very small particle size to be able to digest it. I should have been more thorough before I got it.
Logan J

Rather than shutting the pumps down...you could make a feeding "hat" for the flame and the tubastrea. You can do this by cutting the bottom off of a 2 liter bottle and drilling a hole in the cap...attatch some tubing and a syringe....you can set the bottle over the critter, squirt some phyton in the bottle and let it sit and feed.

Back
Top Bottom