20gal Long Sump Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerstroke99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i just got a 20gal Long all glass for free!! so i have decided to make it into a sump for my 55gal saltwater tank. i have a few questions though... first off i don't really have the means of making a weir to get the water down to the sump. i was wondering could i just use a power head and attach a flex hose to the power head down to the sump. then a submersible pump to the tank, any sugestions on which one? Baffles... i want to go glass but i am having problems finding a glass shop what are the down sides to plexi? also any tips for the hole procedure? or words of wisdom?

thanks all

btw i am new to the forum i have a 55gal saltwater with about 70lbs of live rock

29long fw

5gal puffer tank fw

That setup is a bad idea, It is almost impossible to match the flow rate of the two pumps together. It is best to gravity feed the sump with an overflow.

Like scottm said, two pumps is not a good idea. One pump will always out perform the other and you will end up with overflow on one end or the other. Check out drsfostersmith.com for an overflow box.

theotheragentm said:
Like scottm said, two pumps is not a good idea. One pump will always out perform the other and you will end up with overflow on one end or the other. Check out drsfostersmith.com for an overflow box.

just check out that site and searched for an overflow box i didnt find anything that looked right do they call it something else? also can anyone recommend a good pump? to get the water back up to the tank. i plan on installing a ball valve to regulate flow. anyways is there anywhere else you can find a "weir, overflow box" ? thanks a bunch guys

----------------------updated--------------------------------------

ok got my tank the other night for free and today had all the glass cut for the baffles. tonight i got them all silicone in and now it just needs to set up.

img_827284_0_a09f5531a14495bcfb1c205c2f01e829.jpg

also i was looking on ebay for some overflow boxes they range from $19.99 to about 40$ are there other places that might be cheaper i checked that other site but i couldnt find them. also i have 55gal tank about how much gph should i get?

where can you find really good live sand for a decent price

and could anyone recommend a good sump pump

thanks again!!

ok i got the sum installed in my stand tonight after work, just waiting a few more days for the glue to dry. i bought a 600gph overflow how do i figure out what pump i should go with?

It just has to be less than the flow of the overflow. Be aware that if you have to pump up, your flow will be less than if you pumped purely horizontal. So at a certain pumping height, you have a certain flow. I figure if you have about 350 GPM on a pump at the pumping height, you will be good. That gives the drain plenty of room for margin of error in case the drain starts to get plugged up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom