A new possibility or a sham? (Lights)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What bothers me the most is that they are Identical looking to the Lights of America 65 watts.... but what everyone else's opinions?

These lights are identical to the LOA lights I have on the front of the house. I would say they are the same light. They do not put out 500 watts. They have a 65w bulb and that's what you get from them. It is a very bright 65 watts though. These lights don't run that cool either. The bulb will burn your fingers after it's been on for a while. I have serious doubts about the validity of the claims made about this light.

These lights are identical to the LOA lights

This is true.

They get hot enough that the water will sizzle on them..

The person on the ebay site is trying to make $10 on them. They sell at Wal-Mart for $29. Those are LOA Work Lights. I emailed the guy and he gave me some pompass remark about they are custom made,,,Garbage. They are LOA all the way....

HEHE i was about to make the exact same remarks as above

Ebay said:
The Output of this light is 500 Watts, but only uses 65 Watts of electricity !

Then its a 65W light. I dont calculate out that my 4 96W lights are equivlient to XXX Watts of incadecent. Thats a crazy clame. Why would one compair a standard 100W incadecent light to a PC florecent in the first place.

Another issue is they quote a lumen output. Lumens are to be the standard measure of light output where 1 lumen is equil to 1 candle burning at X distance. Well the problem is there are no established methods of testing lumens. Do you measure the lumen output at the center of the light, do you measure it at 4 points and average, do you take the reading at X feet or Y feet, etc.

I can also vouch that power compact bulbs in general run no where close to body temperature.

My 96W power compact will burn you if you hold it for more than a few sec, my 55W power compacts will burn you if you hold them for more than a few sec, Shoot my 13W desktop PC light will burn you if you hold it for more than a few sec.

fishfreek said:
Then its a 65W light. I dont calculate out that my 4 96W lights are equivlient to XXX Watts of incadecent. Thats a crazy clame. Why would one compair a standard 100W incadecent light to a PC florecent in the first place.

They do it because, most of the time, the PC light is replacing an incandescent light.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom