Alternate uses for substrate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durvish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since my QT tank is my old 10 gal planted tank, it had an eco-complete substrate. Now that the Tetras I just bought and QT'd are showing signs of ich, I'll have to get rid of the substrate after we cure that and they move to the DT. So I got to thinking -- if eco-complete is so chock full of plant goodness for the planted tank and I don't normally consume my potted plants (lol), I think I just might use it for the decorative topping to our seasonal potted plants this year instead of tossing it because of the ich. Last time I checked potted plants don't really give a crud about ich! :biglol:

Don't want to take the chance of missing any of the parasites and have a re-infection on the next QT go around.

After you treat for ich and remove the fish any remaining ich will die off after about four days as long as their are no fish in the tank.

Actually the tomite part of the life cycle will die off within 3 to 4 days, but that is just one stage of the life cycle --- the tank would have to sit for a minimum of 2 weeks to be safe -- preferably 4 weeks with no fish. That's to long for an only QT in case something happens in the DT.

Actually the tomite part of the life cycle will die off within 3 to 4 days, but that is just one stage of the life cycle --- the tank would have to sit for a minimum of 2 weeks to be safe -- preferably 4 weeks with no fish. That's to long for an only QT in case something happens in the DT.

Couldn't you just rinse the gravel then, let it sit a month and then reuse it?

Where's the fun in that!

lol Okay, how about filling up your nasty neighbor's mailbox with it? (If you have one.) And make sure you don't rinse it first. You could glue it to pvc piping and sell it for fish/shrimp tunnels. Leave it in your trunk for traction during the winter months. Sell it as "live" gravel on CL but make sure it's completely overpriced then the buyer will think it's special.

Back
Top Bottom