Boiling Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently in the process of boiling driftwood. But the driftwood is to big for any pot. So I put it in a wheel barrel, boil some water and fill up the wheel barrel. Leave it outside over two nights (which water will turn cold) then redo the process again for a week or so. I'm doing this to kill the parasites and tannins and try to "water log" the drift wood for it to sink. Does anyone have any tips or tricks while going through this process. I've pretty much done a lot of research and hopefully ever thing works out. TIA

I heard one tip a while back that salt added to the boiling water helps release tannins. I'm not sure how much you would add to the water, but just be sure to boil it in fresh water a few times after the saltwater boils. Other than that keep it up. If it's mopani wood it's definitely going to have lots of tannin.

Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and bleach it.Soak it in the wheel barrow, with a fairly strong bleach solution, for a few hours or overnight. Rinse well, let dry, and then you can start the soak process for it to sink. If you are worried about any bleach residual, add some dechlor to final soak/rinse. I have bleached lots of pieces of driftwood to remove algae and have yet to have nay issues.

You can always do the Empty Dishwasher Trick (for those that have Dishwashers). No detergent and run it on it's hottest temp setting. If your DW is not yet waterlogged, this is not the most efficient ... it's really for those that just want to sterilize and release some tannins from the DW.

Hot water's the best way to help water-log it and release tannins as it opens up the pores.
If your not in a huge rush, just leave it in the barrel .. even cold water will eventually water-log it.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to add driftwood to my 29 gal tank but heard not to use driftwood. I will try that out. I'm sure my goldfish will like that. :)

Be very clearful with bleach, even a trace left behind in the wood at the end could wipe out your tank.

Thanks for the info. I wanted to add driftwood to my 29 gal tank but heard not to use driftwood. I will try that out. I'm sure my goldfish will like that. :)

Haha this is my thread lol jk no harm. And thanks for the info guys. I'm in no rush really. I'm going to leave it in the barrel for week or two and change the water every two days with boiling water. Trail and error. That's how you learn.

Well I caved. I have read to many horror stories. I've bought 53$ bucks worth of driftwood (3 pieces) on Fosters and Smith catalog. I rather pay and know it will be safe than banking on my methods and possibly killing all my cichlids. I will post pics when I relieve them.

New driftwood. What y'all think

Attachments

• image-3315312181.jpg
    image-3315312181.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom