Building a small hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use an old Power supply out of a computer to power fans.

I wondered that too by seeing the picture... Are you doing the same DHP9 :?:

Man you inspired me to create a hood for the 10 gallon now. I've decided thus far to make a 29G guppy tgank, and want to use the 10G for baby guppies. I think I will have planted java moss so the little guys can hide. But yeah awesome hood! Hope mine turns out like that :)

Thanks a lot. Timbo, I am just using a 12v adapter from some old stereo or something, I just sauntered the wired together and voila.

O yea, forgot to say that i totally removed the reflector, it was not doing a bit of good and was deflecting heat into the tank and not letting the fan pull it out. I hope that answered yall's questions about the adapter, I will try and get a pic of the hood/adapter setup after I pick up my 7 gallon bowfront from being drilled.

I'm making a hood too for my 3 (10gals) I'm just going to go to home depot and get a glass cut to size and put a tall desk lap over it. Hows that for lame? lol!

What kind of plants are in your tank d9hp???
check this out... I bought an incandecent hood at wal-mart, bought two 20W spiral florecent = 75W incandecent power. At first I thought the idea bad, but man my tank is FINALLY lighted!!!! ::does w00t dance:: My only problem is this... or actually two. First off The lights are perfectly in place under the vents, but I am not sure that is enough to dissipate the heat out of the tank. I was wondering if I should get some really small fans on either side to help out the heat distribution?

Also I don't currently have a glass top because lord knows where I'll be able to fit it.. should I do anyting about this... any suggestions on how to fix this prob?

Oyeah I almost forgot... after I installed the lights, maybe because its lighted better I see a residue of some kind floating in the tank. Its looks cool (like flowing liquid metal) should I be worried about this?

oh yeah I forgot to mention that my tank I did this to is a 10 gallon, with a couple bananas, waiting to put more plants. No fish are in it wither.. since this was more of an experiment. There is a small filter on it, plus an internal filter. thanks again!

okay well anyways, I actually got off my lazy butt and took some digital photos.. and damned if this camera is pretty nice!! Anyway this is my set up I was talking about above, its with the Wal-mart incandecant hood for about 20 bucks, plus the two lights for about 9. I also bought some plants and pray my lucky stars that they flourish with the added pure flourite I mixed into the gravel. Eventually I'll get the CO2 up and running, but for now I just want to see if these plants will hang on and live nicely!

[/img]

Back
Top Bottom