Building a small hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am building a small hood for my 5.5 planted tank and was wondering what will be nessacary for keeping it safe from condensation. I will be using two spiral type bulbs on an incandesct fixture, although they are flourescent, I think they are self-ballast or something. Any ways the one bulb I have now is 19 watts, will most likely get the same bulb for the other port on the fixture. Will heat be a problem? Do I need a vent or fan of anykind? Will be very simple and dont want to complicate it too much. Money is an issue, as usual. Thanks a lot guys and gals

I think a glass top for the tank will be sufficient to protect the lights. Or, you could go to Home Depot, buy a piece of acrylic and cut it to size. Corrosion in the sockets would be the biggest concern. I'd make sure the lights were on a three prong cord. Ungrounded lights (I know this from unpleasant experience) can leach electricity into the water through the condensation and really light you up (no pun intended) when you reach into the tank.
The screw in PC's (yes, they are self ballasted) that I use around here get pretty warm. I think you will need good vents at the least and probably a small fan. Check your local Radio Shack for small 12v transformers to run a computer fan. The transformers are rated in milliamps. The fan should have a milliamp rating on it somewhere. Make sure the transformer is rated enough to pull the fan or it won't last long. The transformers I'm talking about plug right into the 120v outlet.
Logan J

Thanks a lot, I was thinking of getting a glass top made by all glass, but is there a place to put a filter on those things? Thanks a lot.

Most of their glass tops have the plastic strip in the back that you can cut for the filter/heater. If not, you can always use the acrylic.
Logan J

Did not get any pics of the building process, but here is the end result, I still need to stain it, add chair molding to the top and bottom, and then build a stand.

That looks very good.

How far down below the edge does it hang? Does it life up at any point or do you have to take the entire thing off to feed?

Cant wait to see the complete project.

it hangs exactly one inch all around. There is no back as you can see behind the tank is well lit, I will get a pic tom when the lights are off. The inside is the cool part. I used a lot off the old plastic hood to make sure the light was secure, Right now I have to take the whole thing off, I am going to get some hinges and make it so the entire top, light and all will come up, for feeding a small tasks. Other wise i will take the whole thing off. Thanks for the compliments, I still want a stand to even things out though.

Well, right now I don't mind them, I am going to make the whole top lift up, so there is no reason to do so at the moment, thanks for the info though

Nope, i dont think I will make it like that either, i can feed from the back, and when i want to fix something, i take the whole thing off. I get my new hagen CO2 system tom! I am also getting 4 neon tetras, and some plant if they have a good one.

Well I now have 6 neons, they school constantly, and at the front of the tank. I got the new fan in today, so here it is.

Back
Top Bottom