Building desk support for a 30 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on upgrading to a 30 gal in my dorm room - problem is, my "desk" might not be able to hold it as it is. I understand a 30 gal would weigh about 250 lbs ish. As of right now the desk is made out of 1 inch particle board, it has an angle iron brace running along the front and two iron legs in the front, but in the back, towards the wall, it is only supported by a 2x2 screwed into the concrete wall - no legs. I don't trust it to hold that much weight - although I am 230 lbs and I have stood on the desk several times, but only for a minute or two :D

I plan on getting some econo studs and making a brace with three legs, spanning 30 inches long, and putting that against the left hand side of the desk perpendicular to the wall, and putting an additional 2x4 leg in the middle where the tank would be. This way, directly under the tank would be four 2x4 legs and one metal leg. Do you think this should do it? I'll put a drawing up of what I mean.

img_1225510_0_78f6489b8ee3833b4db2865d59a1e4ae.jpg

I don't have any room for a proper aquarium stand as my room is only 9x12 so I have to use the desk. I am also not technically allowed to alter the furnature but whatever ;)

I think you will be fine for support. The only thing I can think of it to go buy a 1/4" or so think piece of plywood to put on top of the desk as that will compress better than what that desk is made out of.

Back
Top Bottom