Building my own Compact Florescent Hood. [Updated. Complete]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I ran to ACE Hardware today and got the electrical equipment for my new hood. I figured if I was going to buy a retro kit online, it would cost alot since I'd need a balast no mater what I did. My steps are pretty ideal for a 10 gal, and total will cost about 30 bucks [ This price includes the screw socket Compact Florescent Plant bulbs you can get at DrFosterSmith or Wal-Mart ]

So, Here is what I did and pics to go with it! :)

Electrical Parts Rundown

3 Weatherproof Screw Sockets [ No built in on off switch ], $2.50 a piece
On Off Toggle Switch $3.00
Electrical Tape [ I didn't have any around o_O ] $1.50
8 Feet of elecritcal cord, .20 Cents a foot, $1.60

Total = $13.60

As you can see in this picture

http://www.googlywoog.com/images/impulse 014.jpg

I stripped the wire every 5 to 6 inches, starting with the end of the cord and working back. I then too the wire ends of the weatherproof sockets and wraped them around the bare cord wires [ Making sure to keep all my black wires on the same side, and all my white wires on the other ].

I wrapped these connections with electrical tape, overlaping the cut about two inches down the cord with the tape just to make dern sure :) I then slipped the heatshrink [ Important, Don't do what I did. Put the heatshrink on first! or else you'll have to disasemble all your work.. ] and shrunk it on with a source of heat, Cigarette litter worked for me.

Repeat the same step above twice more and viola, you get this.

http://www.googlywoog.com/images/impulse 016.jpg

Then I took one of those simple connect cord ends, Follow the instructions on the box how to do that since each ones different.

http://www.googlywoog.com/images/impulse 015.jpg

Viola! The eletrical work is done [ Well, you need to add the toggle switch, but we do that after the box is built so we can optimally place it ]

This took me a total of 15 minutes to do, and its only the first step!

Tomarrow I will be measuring and cutting all my plywood [ I have spare laying around, so.. Freebie! ] and assembling it with 1x1 in all the corners and gorilla glue for strength.

Pics and more to come tomarrow. :)

I'm getting a Jigsaw from a friend later today, so it won't be stagnant much longer.

Altho a jigsaw won't make near as good or as pretty a cut as a skillsaw.

But hey, Wood Putty and Caulk make it what it aint. :?

Bout on the verge of saying %#@! with it.

The jigsaw is giving me a fit, the only blade I have is bent. The cuts arn't coming out good.

I'm thinking it may be fate telling me to say give up.

Ultra Quality Black Indoor Outdoor Enamel: 9 dollars a quart
Ultra Quality White Indoor Outdoor Enamel: 9 dollars a quart

18 bucks total.

build%20003.jpg

I had all the hardware laying around from another project that got shelved.

Its a piece of crap, but what can you expect when your using nothing but a jigsaw that has a dull, bent blade?

It provides 30watts of Compact Flourescent light for my 10gal female betta tank.

it needs touchup I know, the white paint was thinner then water and ran all over the place [ I was not expecting this since the black was thick and inky. ]

But here it is, completed despite fates atempts otherwise :p

Back
Top Bottom