cement background needs curing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nichefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys

me new to this wonderful site.. . still have faith that all you masters would like to help me.
i have made a natural looking background for my 50G tank. i put it in the water finally after drying it for a week after painting.

everything looked perfect .. so i introduced my bravest barbs into the water. they seemed to like it it too. but only for a day.:-(

the water become all misty the next day with the school of barbe swiming at the surface as if suffocated. they were put back and are now well again, but i am depressed :cry:

believe me that thing looks amazing.. and i have no heart to put it away
plz help me ... advice how shud i make this background inert and hazzardless for my fish..

plz whoever can help !!!
thanks in advance

niche

Welcome aboard!!

You missed one of the most important steps, but you mention in your subject. You need to cure the cement for a lengthy time. I've never done a cement background myself but most suggest putting in a tub with circulating water for at least a week or so.

IMO, I would get a tub of water, put the background in it with a opwerhead or pump, even an airstone at a minimum, and leave it for 3 or 4 days. Dump the water out and refill it with fresh water and do it again until the water stays clear.

Also, do a search in the DIY forum here, there's been a few folks with successful bakgrounds. Their threads should have some advice on curing.

Back
Top Bottom