Cinder block stand with 2x10's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Fullfigure

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, all!
In an effort to find a cheap stand solution for a 40 gallon breeder, I am strongly leaning towards cinder blocks.
If I go with the blocks, 2 stacks of 3, could I forgo the use of 2x4's and/ or plywood sheeting, instead using 2 x 10's for the top/ shelf? I understand it may be slightly more expensive this way but I think it would look a bit nicer and add a touch more height.

I would use 2 pieces side by side to accommodate the 18" depth of the tank. My concern is the wood would be overhanging the block by roughly 2" on the front and back with the tank being completely supported but also overhanging the block by about 1" front and back. It seems with the weight of the tank on there that it would be very sturdy but I would love some input or experiences from others.
Maybe attach the 2 boards somehow? Any advice?

Thanks so much,
Mr. Fullfigure

Agree with coral. Ive done this before, sir. Worked great.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys! The stand was the last "worrisome" detail to figure out, so I acted quickly! Got the 2x10 cut to length and threw the stand together right in the aisle at Home Depot. I climbed on top and tried shaking it with all my might.. It's not going anywhere!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom