Clear plastic pipeline aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yavindish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So today I was wandering around the pet store. The hamster cages caught my eye. Some were simple clear plastic boxes while others were complex mazes of tubes, like this one:
space_setup.jpg

Pretty cool isn't it? It'd be fun to watch a hamster run around and explore that cage. But wouldn't it be even cooler to watch some fish swim around that cage?

Now I realize that attempting to fill a Habitrail up with water would result in a puddle on the floor (and some angry hamsters). So instead I'm thinking about how cool it'd be to make an aquarium out of clear plastic pipes purchased from a home improvement store.

I've never built an aquarium. In fact I've never really owned an aquarium. So I came here to ask for advise and suggestions on building a clear plastic pipeline aquarium.

Thanks!

Right off the bat, first issue, this is not attempted for one main reason: Gas exchange. Aquariums are usually longer width and lenght wise rather than height, because of this. There just has to be a large enough surface area for oxygen to dissolve in and CO2 out.

The second thing is water flow, for filtres to work they must have the water available to pull it towards it self and filter it. With such caves you would need to study the water dynamics and install powerheads in strategic places to prevent water stagnation.

Third problem, cleaning the water, substrate or aquarium floor. For this usually syphoning vacuums are used in such a complex structure this would be a problem and a lot of waste would accumulate.

Fourth issue, adult fish size would have to be taken in consideration when stocking such a tank as the narrow curves and swimming space in general would influence the fish's quality of life.

Those are the main issues I can think of right now. Dont get me wrong everything is possible, check out my open bottom tank thread. I'm all for innovation, but this issues would have to be solved before attempting to put any fish in there. This has be done on large scale, in a café or bar, let me look up the link and I'll post it.

Actually this sort of products are already available. Called laberynth aquariums, let me read up a bit on how they are setup, because Im still suspicious to say the least.

Attachments

• image-1530005696.jpg
    image-1530005696.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 536
  • image-17192683.jpg
    image-17192683.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,238
i actually wanted to do this with the spair parts from my sisters habitrail...she said no. i bet if you arranged it right it would wok

Yeah I was surprised to see something similar yesterday when I was walking through the fish isle at Walmart. Especially after seeing this thread.

Walmart.com: Aqua Culture Betta Tube Aquarium, 1ct: Fish

They now sell these things which I instantly wanted for my Beta. They are $10 a piece here. My husband said I can't have any yet though.

As far as the hamster parts go. I have so many tubes and all that. I wouldn't trust them not to mention they all have ventilation holes throughout. I already thought about that though.. haha

Yeah I was surprised to see something similar yesterday when I was walking through the fish isle at Walmart. Especially after seeing this thread.

Walmart.com: Aqua Culture Betta Tube Aquarium, 1ct: Fish

They now sell these things which I instantly wanted for my Beta. They are $10 a piece here. My husband said I can't have any yet though.

As far as the hamster parts go. I have so many tubes and all that. I wouldn't trust them not to mention they all have ventilation holes throughout. I already thought about that though.. haha
seel them off,like with clear duct tappe

i guess you could take those critter keeper things and attach clear pvc pipe to the sides,with holes drilled in the sides,and have an awesome shrimp tank

Actually this sort of products are already available. Called laberynth aquariums, let me read up a bit on how they are setup, because Im still suspicious to say the least.

I love the fact that walmart has a $10 version with the betta tubes! My guess is it's not as good at the $6000 labyrinth. If only I had money to burn! hahahah

Back
Top Bottom