Greetings aquarium folks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBandJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I wanted to try to be somewhat unique in the title ?

I'm happy to be here among fellow aquarium and aquascaping enthusiasts.

I am getting back into the hobby after a long absence, and there are no local aquarium or pet stores to supply me so it's been difficult.

I have a 55 gallon, a 30ish gallon hexagon, two 20 gallons, and four 10 gallons.

I have always been fond of aquatic plants and livebearing fish.

I am hoping to breed some plecos and danios in the future (maybe even some horned and zebra snails). I have some fiery red cherry shrimp, a couple assassin snails (and some pest snails), a beautiful blue avatar male betta, a pretty marble gened copper lavender/green galaxy female plakat (honestly i never know what color she'llbe because she's always surprising me--i did not expect to get a "mood" fish when i found her), some rescued platys, endlers, guppies, black and striped kuhli loaches, dwarf catfish, and various inherited plecos. I adore my fish and I probably seem like a crazy person when I sit and watch my aquarium and talk to my fish.

Recently I have been losing some fish, and it's been pretty upsetting as some werent easy to locate and can be a bit pricey for my liking....(and livebearers aren't typically on the expensive end of the hobby :lol:)

I am hoping to continue to acquire some specimens for creating a TRUE pink guppy and some other accident beauties.

I need more aquariums.

very nice fishes! i had to look some up. lots of great info here and good people to point you in the right direction.

happy fish, happy life

Hi and welcome. :flowers:
Just so you know, back in the late 70s or the 80s, there was a TFH article showing the creation of the Pingu Pink Guppy. It showed the process in pictures of starting with a fish with a single pink scale and approx 10 years later ( if memory serve me correctly) had a Guppy that was 100 % pink. I don't know if they are still available but I do see variations of the pink Guppy ( i.e. Pink Tuxedo) that you may need to use to speed up the process of removing the tuxedo part. (y)

Hi and welcome. :flowers:
Just so you know, back in the late 70s or the 80s, there was a TFH article showing the creation of the Pingu Pink Guppy. It showed the process in pictures of starting with a fish with a single pink scale and approx 10 years later ( if memory serve me correctly) had a Guppy that was 100 % pink. I don't know if they are still available but I do see variations of the pink Guppy ( i.e. Pink Tuxedo) that you may need to use to speed up the process of removing the tuxedo part. (y)

I had seen something on that, and I did not see the true pink. I would like to find that publication though if it shows all that. Very cool. I am in contact with some breeders and have added to my collection the fish I believe can pull the traits I want. It'll be trial and error and I won't be disappointed with the outcome either way.

I've been buying guppies, and they've all been claiming to be "pink", but more often there are orange and coral colors. I have some with a bit of pale pink and magenta, but I would like to see what I can do for a more consistent pink that is truly pink.... and try to keep the genetics diverse enough to avoid insane inbreeding. That is something i dont care much for . I expect some pretty variations. I'll have fun with it for sure.

I want to work towards the coloring I would like to see (not just pink, but its my current obsession i guess you could say) and even try to combine and see what patterns I can come up with and maybe persistently. I have one surviving endler hybrid male with beautiful patterns and neon colors that reminds me of a neon butterfly. I may see what else I can come up with there...

I think guppies and endlers are far more fun for me than what is normal ?

I had seen something on that, and I did not see the true pink. I would like to find that publication though if it shows all that. Very cool. I am in contact with some breeders and have added to my collection the fish I believe can pull the traits I want. It'll be trial and error and I won't be disappointed with the outcome either way.

I've been buying guppies, and they've all been claiming to be "pink", but more often there are orange and coral colors. I have some with a bit of pale pink and magenta, but I would like to see what I can do for a more consistent pink that is truly pink.... and try to keep the genetics diverse enough to avoid insane inbreeding. That is something i dont care much for . I expect some pretty variations. I'll have fun with it for sure.

I want to work towards the coloring I would like to see (not just pink, but its my current obsession i guess you could say) and even try to combine and see what patterns I can come up with and maybe persistently. I have one surviving endler hybrid male with beautiful patterns and neon colors that reminds me of a neon butterfly. I may see what else I can come up with there...

I think guppies and endlers are far more fun for me than what is normal ?
Go to the TFH site and search Pingu Guppy. (There are now a number of colors called Pingu but the original name, as I understand it, stood for PINk GUppy ) (y)

Liebmans work

http://https://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Fish/LiebmanPingu1979/Pingu1979.html

I know this has made things a lot easier, and I hope I can make some strides here. Definitely satisfies my mad scientist aspirations....

Should I also confess I want to create a peanut butter and jelly variety (peanut butter females and jelly males...berry red and and grape purple? (i know its crazy) I'm probably going to live forever so I figure I've got some time to invest. Even if forever ends tomorrow I'm happy with my fish babies as they are now.

This is not exactly my direction

http://https://www.academia.edu/11725643/A_Discussion_of_the_Micariff_Phenotype_misconceptions_and_facts

I agree with the publication (from what ive been able to look at and consider), but I'm not wanting to recreate. I think I'm going to be using golds with rose coloring and albinos. So, the sex linked traits are going to be a little more of a challenge since a few of my selected breeders have died. I don't want the bars for my pinks. I have a vision for this thing (and then from there it morphs into something else :)

Back
Top Bottom