Connecting multiple fans to the same converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have four fans I want to install in my canopy and if possible, hook up to the same converter. Can anyone tell me what converter (rated) converter I need to get and how to connect the fans to it? If I'm not able to connect all four then is three possible?

The specs on the first two fans are as follows:

80 x 80 x 25 mm
Rated voltage = 10.8 ~ 13.2 VDC
Starting voltage = 7 VDC
Rated Current = 0.16A
Power Input = 1.92W

The other two are:

80 x 80 x 25 mm
Rated voltage = 12 VDC
Starting voltage = 6 VDC
Rated Current = 0.16A
Power Input = 1.92W

I appreciate any help I could get.

They all look like they will work nicely at 22 vdc. Something like [urlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/12-Volt-Universal-Power-Supply-DC-12V-1-66-Amp-New_W0QQitemZ290101763588QQihZ019QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]this[/url] would work nicely.

The math here is easy. You are adding up the rated currents to find the total current needed. In your case each fan draws .16 amps. The total draw then for 4 fans is .64 amps. Any power supply that can handle one amp will do well here.

As far as hookup goes. These fans will be hooked up in parallel. That means that all of the wires labeled as "plus" from the fans will be tied together and connected to the "plus" lead from the power supply. Likewise with the "minus" leads.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this does help somewhat especially the explanation of "hooked up in parallel". I've read that a couple of times and didn't know what it meant. So I just connect all the positive wires together from the fans and then connect them to the positive wire from the power supply. Seems simple enough. Better than splicing the power supply wire in 4 different places.

I have a power supply that is rated as follows:

Input: AC 120 60 Hz 15w

Output: DC 12V 500 mA

Can I connect three of the fans to this power supply? I believe so since it is rated at 500mA which is greater than the total Amps of the three (16 x 3 = 0.48).

If so then I have one other question (I won't say last). This power supply has two black wires. One has white lines on it. Which is positive and which is negative?

Thanks for the help

Which is positive and which is negative?

This has come up a couple of times. In your case it does not matter so much. Since we are talking about dc motors, they will spin one way or the other depending on which wire you assume is positive. If you don't like which way the fans are spinning, swap the leads.

As far as your question about running three fans on that power supply, I think you should be ok. Normally you would like a little headspace with the power supply, but you will not be starting and stopping these fans often. I think you are good to go with three fans.

Hang on....:nono:

Your DC supply is only rated at 6Watts=12vx500mah
You will be working it pretty hard with 4 fans.

Being adventurous, I'd try it anyway, but be careful things may get warm.
:onfire:

If I remember correctly, the white striped lead is the negative. the three fans should be certainly be fine and four would still be ok, they would just lack power and probably just turn slow, or be strained ( If you liken an electrical motor (essentially what a fan is) to a car engine, current is like torque, it'll get you up to speed quicker and push a load easier, and voltage is like maximum rotational speed, all it gives you is top speed.)

White striped is the positive. I set up three fans and they run perfectly. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom