cracked frame repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clancy888

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i recently bought a used 55g aquarium and the top frame has two small cracks.
each starts along the center brace (plastic) and runs to the bottom of the frame. they're located on either end, and opposite sides, of the brace. the brace itself is not cracked.

my plan is to add a 6" wide 1/2" thick (two 1/4" pieces siliconed together) glass brace under the current brace.

however, everything i've seen online where this was used as a repair involved the the center brace itself either being cracked in half or coming off where it meets the frame. since my issue is not the center brace being cracked, but the frame itself, i'm wondering if my plan would be an adequate or appropriate fix. i'm hoping that since the cracks are located in the center of the tank, adding the brace would all that is needed.

i know i could get a replacement top frame, but i'd be more anxious prying the old one off (worrying about breaking the tank in the process) than i would about adding a brace, if that would do the job. plus, although the cost of a new frame isn't unreasonable, the diy brace is cheaper.

thoughts?

I would go with the glass pieces. It seems 55s are notorious for broken braces. Sometimes the frames crack from shrinkage, and it isn't really a problem, but losing the center brace can be.

Back
Top Bottom