Diy 3d backrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone I was gonna make a backround and watched on YouTube of people using insulation board and concrete. Is that safe for the fish or the water. And is there any alternatives or better ways to make one. Thx for any advice or opinions I receive.

In the process of doing one now after researching since January... Most forums and posts seem to point to using styrofoam as the base/form/ shapes/etc and covering it with quikrete. Make sure you soak the finished proj in a slightly vinegared water tub for a few weeks to neutralize the ph. Also remember to roughly sand the styrofoam to give the concrete better adherence ability or it will fall off. I'm going to put a final coat of drylok over my concrete for added protection and seal

Also, if you use glue to stick the styrofoam together then you MUST use a glue that is water proof and has NO mildew killing chemicals. Ge silicon 1 is one, I think but check the label. You can use wooden skewers for added stability between styrofoam pieces

For color you can add quikrete coloring and use 100% acrylic paint for accent colors if you want to paint algae or anything on the BG

Drylok instead of quikrete

Drylok is much easier to use. Make sure its the Latex based. And you can use (quikrete, etc), dyes in it as well.
There is no pH/Curing issues with drylok as there is with cement.
3-4 coats and your done.
I've had NO issues at all with my backgrounds.

If you mean Great Stuff, it works really good on it. GS is what i use on my joints and grooves in my backgrounds.
Just let the first coat dry really good because that coat will shrink a little. 3 good coats works good for me. Really durable.

If you mean Great Stuff, it works really good on it. GS is what i use on my joints and grooves in my backgrounds.
Just let the first coat dry really good because that coat will shrink a little. 3 good coats works good for me. Really durable.

Yeah great stuff. Cool sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom