Diy backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcarnes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was wondering if any body knew of an aquarium safe paint or stain to color a concrete background, and if it would need sealed before I put it into my tank.

I saw something on YouTube where a guy used "food safe" concrete sealer on his background. He showed his tank 3 months later and everything was still alive.

Thanks any idea were I might find it. Maybe Lowes or ?

Is there supposed to be a food grade stain ? Or is that just a standard type and then seal it.

You have to use 100% latex paint, it can't just say latex, This Is just what I've heard.
I didn't use paint I used concret coloring and put an epoxy resin on the whole thing. See my profile pics and you can see my background. I didnt use a lot of color cause I knew algae would grow and start to cover it up anyways.

I work for a paint company and I would not feel comfortable having any of our paint to be submerged in water. The only thing that is good for that is a POTABLE EPOXY and that is way to expensive to buy as it will typically only come in 5 gallon kits at over $100/gallon

Thanks but I think I'm going to ditch the whole concrete thing. I'm worried about leaching and water hardness trouble. Looking for other ways

Good call they look great but it can really mess with your ph. I had a friend who lost a gorgeous freshwater ray because of a concrete wall he put in

Back
Top Bottom