diy bubbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey folks,

was planning on making use of some of my local granite and wound like to make a piece into a bubbler, the plan was to drill through a peice and place an air stone into it. and was wandering if i would need to use a air stone? was just wandering as well would this work?

cheers:D

There goes that plan the granite just broke ma drill.<mod edit>. Back to the drawin board. 

Last edited by a moderator:
wilmo said:
There goes that plan the granite just broke ma drill. <mod edit>. Back to the drawin board. 

Were you using a masonry bit? Use water to cool it, lower speeds are better and it should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh a did mate. Theres a bit inside that's broke a think it may be the trigger. The bit wats a diamond tip bit as well. But o well. Lol.

ryan-peddle said:
granite is amazingly hard but still i would try again did you break the diamond tip bit?

No. The drill just died. I got about 1/2 and inch down likes. The drills old likes I inherited it. Lol. I want to still try likes. I love my local granite it's a red. And looks amazing polished up.

lol thats crazy those old drills are almost imposible to kill i got one thats 30 years old black and decker still kickin so are you gonna try again?

Yeh that was wat mines was. Lol. Well don't frill granite it will kill it lol. Yeh av only got another 3.5 inches to go. Lol.

hey folks,

was planning on making use of some of my local granite and wound like to make a piece into a bubbler, the plan was to drill through a peice and place an air stone into it. and was wandering if i would need to use a air stone? was just wandering as well would this work?

cheers:D

Without an air stone, it wouldn't get defused much if any would it?

My vote is use one.

Mr. Limpet said:
Without an air stone, it wouldn't get defused much if any would it?

My vote is use one.

Yeh mate that true the hole am drilling is big enough to fit a air stone into it. With several smaller holes leading to the bigger hole

Have to wait til pay day the other drill I have isn't a hammer drill. 

Hammer drills are great on concrete, but I'm not sure you want to use one on granite. It'll most likely crack it in no time. Slow/med speed and a masonry bit will get you thru it and use water for lube, not oil.

Does your bit look like this? If you're trying to use a regular drill bit (metal/wood), it'll get dull in no time.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH00JUN_CONCRE_07.JPG

Mr. Limpet said:
Hammer drills are great on concrete, but I'm not sure you want to use one on granite. It'll most likely crack it in no time. Slow/med speed and a masonry bit will get you thru it and use water for lube, not oil.

Does your bit look like this? If you're trying to use a regular drill bit (metal/wood), it'll get dull in no time.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH00JUN_CONCRE_07.JPG
Yeh mate that's it.
It's a diamond tipped masonry bit.

Back
Top Bottom