DIY Chiller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
My husband has an idea of building a chiller with a transmission cooler... or radiator...something like that. I don't have all the details nor I understand when he tries to explain it to me. So I told him to write it down and make a drawing of all things for you guys to check out (I know some of you are pretty crafty). I honestly feel like it's a bad idea. Anybody ever heard of DIY chillers?

I will post all details later on.

never heard of a DIY chiller. Is he going for an In-line chiller or one that uses a coil and electrical current ?

Basically you would have to create a mini fridge that pulls water in, refrigerates it and pumps it back into the tank, all while having perfect control of its temperature.

i think it may be cheaper to purchase one.

yeah like my wife doesn't already complain about the noise level of the tank aleady. That's all I would need to set her totaly off!!! :twisted:

I already showed him all responses but he says he has more details, we will be posting this afternoon. You guys are pretty funny :lach:

There are a number of options for a DIY chiller. Check our DIY section for some ideas and suggestions.

His radiator approach will work. Be sure he doesn't use an actual radiator though. They are usually copper and NOT clean. As a matter of fact... I think there is a radiator style chiller you can buy for small volume low temp change cooling. I think they call it.. and ice probe, or something along those lines... will have to google it.

Back
Top Bottom