Diy python complete...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well its not quite as functional as the python because it does not create suction...but once the flow is established it drains to the sink like a champ.

Its basically just pvc,two pcv ball valves,a faucet adapter and a long run of tubing.

Some pvc glue,thread tape and a saw for the pvc are the only extras needed.

All in a ll about 8-10 bucks to complete (although we had the tubing on hand).If anyone interested I'll post some pics.

Here ya go neoginn:

skimmer002eu4.jpg

skimmer016tt2.jpg

skimmer023rf1.jpg

skimmer034qv9.jpg

Now for some brief explantion:

All of this can be purchased a home depot or hardware store.

It starts with a fitting (metal) that allows you to hook up a garden hose to the kitchen sink (better seen in the last pic).Instead of a garden hose the hose end gets threaded into a pvc 3/4 adapter.After that is a bushing that goes from 3/4" to 1/2"....after that everything else is 1/2 inch.

From the bushing is a short piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe that connects to "tee". Both holes remaining in the tee (1 down and 1 to the side) are filled with very short pieces of pvc.

A 1/2" ball valve is glued to each extended piece of pvc from the tee.
That completes the outlet,or bottom.

The side gets another short piece of pipe followed by one last fitting.This one is is threaded on one side and smooth for pipe on the other.Glue it to the piece of pipe sticking out of the side valve and this will be where the tubing gets connected.

One fitting for the tubing (1/2" threaded/ hose) and a hose clamp and its done.

This does not however create suction.For the tank I have thats taller than my sink I hook it up and then fill the hose while its in the tank...this pushes all the air out.Once its full I turn off the water and open the bottom valve and the tank drains to the sink.

For my shorter tank I just use the tubing to syphon it out the door before I ever hook anything up.

When its time to fill I run the the water through the the pvc onto a therm until the temp is right then open the side and close the bottom.Declorinate and all is good.

This was cheap and easy to built...well woth the time and money...especially for a larger tank.I love this contraption!

Back
Top Bottom