DIY Slate cave.... Look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im planning on a DIY Slate cave/sculpture i have 6 slate slabbs from about 10 years ago thats been outside. Previously used as a walk way in the garden..... My Questions are...
1-Is this slate aquarium safe
2-I plan on using GE I silicone
3-will this raise the PH of my Platy tank which is pretty basic water
4-anyway to test is it is aqua safe i have 2 pieaces in a styrafoam cup submerged in water
Im posting a link from youtube hear to show you guys what im making...
And pics of my slabbs for you guys to see
MY Camera is Crap its a BB Curve 2 megapixel camera cant find the HD one
This is the Youtube Link sort of what im trying to do....YouTube - My home made slate cave aquarium decoration

Attachments

• IMG00255.jpg
    IMG00255.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG00256.jpg
    IMG00256.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG00257.jpg
    IMG00257.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 127
That guy's caves are really cool. If it is actually slate it shouldn't have any effect on the water chemistry.

Just make sure you clean the slate off, boil it if possible. If you're afraid of it exploding, you could just soak it in a bleach solution, then soak it in a solution of I think 5x dechlorinator? Maybe 10x... Other than that you should be good. And I think you dropping it isn't a bad thing, you have to break up the pieces anyway right? Those things are huge.

I made a slate cave system for my cichlids and they love it...Almost too much, they spend all day in it instead of out where they can be admired lol. I used aquarium silicone from petsmart, allglass i believe. It has had no side effects at all. The GE 1 is safe from what I hear, but I couldn't get my hands on any. Can be tough to clean, I use a toothbrush to get in the cracks.

I bought my silicone from Petland its too hot today to work outside..... Hopefully tomorrow cools down a lil

Back
Top Bottom